Manhattan Community Board 5 is a New York City community board, part of the local government apparatus of the city, with the responsibility for the neighborhoods of Midtown, Times Square, most of the Theater District, the Diamond District, the Garment District, Herald Square, Koreatown, NoMad, Murray Hill and the Flatiron District, all in the borough of Manhattan. It is bounded by 59th Street on the north, Eighth Avenue, 26th Street, the Avenue of the Americas ("Sixth Avenue") on the west, 14th Street on the south, and Lexington Avenue on the east, excluding the area from 34th to 40th Streets between Madison and Lexington Avenues, and the area from 20th to 22nd Streets between Park Avenue South and Lexington Avenue/Irving Place.
Within the area under the Board's responsibility are all or part of the Murray Hill, Madison Square North, Ladies' Mile, Gramercy Park and East 17th Street/Irving Place historic districts. Business Improvement Districts in the area include Madison Avenue BID, East Midtown Association, Fifth Avenue BID, the Times Square Alliance, 47th Street BID, the Grand Central Partnership, Bryant Park Management, Garment Center District, 34th Street Partnership, Madison Square Park Conservancy, Flatiron/23rd Street Partnership, and Union Square Partnership.
Within its boundaries are the neighborhoods of Flatiron, Herald Square, Midtown, Midtown South, Times Square, and Union Square. It may also include portions of Gramercy Park and Murray Hill.
As of 2000, the Community Board's area has a population of 44,028, up from 43,507 in 1990 and 39,543 in 1980. Of them (as of 2000), 31,813 (72.3%) are White non Hispanic, 1,948 (4.4%) are African-American, 6,143 (14.0%) Asian or Pacific Islander, 52 (0.1%) American Indian or Native Alaskan, 141 (0.3%) of some other race, 967 (2.2%) of two or more race, 2,964 (6.7%) of Hispanic origins. In addition, 11.9% of the population benefit from public assistance as of 2004, up from 8.9% in 2000.
The land area under the Board's purview is 1,046.4 acres, or 1.64 square miles (4.23 km²).
- "Historic Districts" on the Community Board 5 website
- "BIDs" on the Community Board 5 website
- Community Health Profiles 2015 - Manhattan Community District 5. "Manhattan Community District 5: MIDTOWN (Including Flatiron, Herald Square, Midtown, Midtown South, Times Square and Union Square)"
- NYC Planning - Community District Profiles - Manhattan Community District 5. "Flatiron, Gramercy Park, Herald Square, Midtown, Midtown South, Murray Hill, Times Square, Union Square (Neighborhoods may be in multiple districts. Neighborhood names and boundaries are not officially designated.)"
- Neighborhood Tabulation Areas* within Manhattan Community District 5
- See Manhattan Community Board 5 map (retrieved 2006)
|This New York City–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|