Emig Mansion at Emigsville
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Total||15.90 sq mi (41.18 km2)|
|• Land||15.88 sq mi (41.14 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,168.91/sq mi (451.33/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Manchester Township, deriving its name from the English Duke of Manchester, was laid out in 1742 by Thomas Cookson, a representative of the Lancaster County Courts, because at that time York County was a part of Lancaster County. In the entire township there were 300 inhabitants. The first settlers were English Quakers, with German immigrants settling later and establishing it as an important agricultural community.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 15.9 square miles (41 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.13%, is water. The township is bordered by the city of York to the south, and the borough of North York is enclosed on three sides by Manchester Township.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,700 people, 4,951 households, and 3,688 families residing in the township. The population density was 799.6 people per square mile (308.8/km²). There were 5,122 housing units at an average density of 322.5/sq mi (124.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 94.28% White, 2.09% African American, 0.12% Native American, 1.72% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.87% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.66% of the population.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
There were 4,951 households out of which 33.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.7% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 20.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.94.
In the township the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 31.6% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 14.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 94.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $53,472, and the median income for a family was $61,270. Males had a median income of $42,451 versus $29,744 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,576. About 1.3% of families and 2.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.1% of those under age 18 and 3.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Manchester township, York County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Hall of Fame". York Barbell Company. Archived from the original on June 11, 2007. Retrieved July 3, 2007.