|Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies|
Vanessa Williams (US)
Jules de Jongh
Tajja Isen (US)
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of episodes||52|
|Running time||10 minutes per episode (approx.) (UK)|
|Production company(s)||King Rollo Films|
National Geographic Kids
|Picture format||720x576 16:9|
Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies is a British animated educational wildlife children's television series. The live action footage comes from the BBC Natural History Unit archives, as well as the National Geographic Society. The series ran on CBeebies in the United Kingdom, and PBS Kids in the United States. The series was created by Douglas Wood, who is also the author of the companion children's picture book When Mama Mirabelle Comes Home, published by National Geographic Books. 52 11-minute episodes were produced; in the United States, they were packaged as 26 half-hours.
In the American version, all of the animals except Karla and Bo have American voices. Vanessa Williams is the voice of Mama Mirabelle in the US, and Floella Benjamin is the voice for Mama Mirabelle in the UK.
The series is produced by UK animation studio King Rollo Films, whose other shows include Disney's The Adventures of Spot, Discovery Kids' Paz, Noggin's Maisy, Sprout's Poppy Cat and Mr. Benn. Music for this show is written by Lester Barnes, the composer for Horrid Henry, Me Too!, Paz, and Urmel.)
Set in the African savanna, it focuses on an enthusiastic elephant named Mama Mirabelle, who travels around the world to film real wildlife footage and project them onto a screen of fireflies in front of almost the entire animal kingdom. The "Home Movies" are used for educational purposes not only for the main young characters but for the preschool audience at home.
Characters and voice cast
- Mama Mirabelle the elephant; she always wears a beautiful orange hat with blue flowers on it and is the lead mother of the series. Voiced by Floella Benjamin in the United Kingdom and Vanessa Williams in the United States.
- Max the elephant, he is voiced by Phillipa Alexander in the United Kingdom, Teresa Gallagher in the United States, and Josephine Schmidt in Germany, Max is Mama Mirabelle's son. He also loves a bit good muddy fun with Karla and Bo.
- Karla the zebra, voiced by Teresa Gallagher in both the United Kingdom and the United States, and Jennifer Wieb in Germany, is a bit of a prim and proper animal but loves mud. Her favourite game is called Nuzzle Tag.
- Bo the cheetah, voiced by Jules de Jongh in both the United States and the United Kingdom, and Jesco Spirtgen in Germany, is the adopted son of Mama Mirabelle, who loves to pounce.
- Merlin the bat - Is voiced by Kuchi Braaso in the United Kingdom and Tajja Isen in the United States.
- Kayla the red kangaroo - She is friends with Mama Mirabelle and was voiced by Moya O'Sullivan.
- Ronjy the tiger - Seen in Muddy Wonderland.
- Kylie, Kayla's daughter. She is voiced by Gabriella Lewis, though she only said one line the each episode she appeared in.
- Daddy Stripes the zebra, Karla, Max, and Bo's father. He is voiced by David Holt in the United Kingdom and Lucien Dodge in the United States.
- Keisha, Karla's wombat friend. She is voiced by Emma Tate in the United Kingdom and Katie Leigh in the United States.
- Benny the bird - Loves to aid. He is voiced by Lizzie Waterworth.
- Winnie the cow - Is Karla's friend from the cold area. She is voiced by Sarah Williams.
- Jacques the walrus - A fellow traveller of Mama Mirabelle. He is voiced by Alan Marriott.
- Mama Bird - Benny's mother, who is voiced by Elly Fairman.
- Edna the Echidna - A young echidna who lives in Australia and is voiced by Felicia Hamilton.
- Susan Blu - Voice Director
- Kent Meredith - Voice Director
- 01. Elephant Walk
- 02. The Sounds Of The Savanna
- 03. A Little Help From My Friends
- 04. Baby Of A Different Stripe
- 05. Hide And Go Seek
- 06. Tell Me About It
- 07. To Sleep With Wombats
- 08. All Creatures Great And Small
- 09. Anybody Home?
- 10. Healthy Habits
- 11. Play's The Thing
- 12. Sam Spades Of The Savanna
- 13. Gourmet Grazing
- 14. Kings And Queens Of The Savanna
- 15. I Spy
- 16. Eyes, Ears, Noses, And Trunks
- 17. The Boy Can Blow
- 18. I Don't Like Spiders And Snakes
- 19. What's In A Tail
- 20. Foot Prints In The Sand
- 21. Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
- 22. Nobody's Perfect
- 23. Things That Go Yip, Howl And Screech In The Night
- 24. Cracking The Code
- 25. A Savanna Kwanzaa
- 26. You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby
- 27. Change Is Gonna Come
- 28. Trumpet While You Work
- 29. Spot The Difference
- 30. Hot-And-Cold Running Critters
- 31. Why Zebras Can't Fly
- 32. Super Duper Savanna Animals
- 33. Come Out Of Your Shell
- 34. Travels With Mama
- 35. Tails Of The Galápagos
- 36. Happy Habitats
- 37. Savanna Lullaby
- 38. It Gives You Paws
- 39. Out Of Reach
- 40. Family Style
- 41. Curtain Up!
- 42. Listen Up!
- 43. Rainy Day Blues
- 44. Take Me To The Water
- 45. Find Your Way Home
- 46. The Nose Knows
- 47. Jumbled Jungle
- 48. Alone Together
- 49. Muddy Wonderland
- 50. Do You See What I See?
- 51. Have You Heard?
- 52. This Is Mama's World