|Malda Zilla School|
|School board||West Bengal Board of Secondary Education|
West Bengal Council of Higher Secondary Education
|Headmaster||Md. Mobassar Ansar|
|Assistant Headmaster||Madhab Chandra Ghosh|
|Grades||Class I through XII|
|Number of students||1500 (approximate)|
|Color(s)||White and Khaki|
Malda Zilla School is the oldest school at Malda district, West Bengal, India. At present, the morning section of the school runs from Class – I to Class – V while the day section runs from Class – VI to Class – XII. In the higher secondary course, the school carries studies in all the 3 streams of study; namely the Science, Humanities and Commerce streams of study. This is one of the reputable school of the district.
History and infrastructure
Established in 1858, the school started in the building in which the superintendent of police of Malda District resides at present. It all started in two and three pucca rooms and in thatched rooms. In 1897, the school shifted to the present campus having 11 compartments and 1 hall attached to a courtyard. Before 1985, the building was called the main building. In 1985, the building was named after an eminent student of this institute Prof. Benoy Kumar Sarkar as Binoy Sarkar Bhavan. The building is used for administrative purposes. There are 24 classrooms housed in Jagadish Chandra Bhavan, Rammohun Bhavan, Vidyasagar Bhavan and Nazrul Bhavan. From 1897 onwards, the school had two hostels – the Hindu hostel and the Muslim hostel. The two hostels have been amalgamated under the name Malda Zilla School hostel. The hostel provide accommodation to 60 students of the XI and XII standard and a few students of lower classes.
- Class I
- Through a system of lottery
- Tentative time for the distribution of admission forms: December
- Tentative time of draw: February
- Class XI
Through merit in secondary exam of applicants.
(Conducted by the school authority after publication of secondary result.)
- White Shirt
- Khaki-coloured Trousers
- Black Leather Boots or White Keads with White Stockings
- School Badge
- Navy-Blue Sweater (in Winter)
- Half Sleeve White Vest
- Navy Blue Half-Pant
- White Keads with White Stockings
|Subjects taught in higher secondary|
|Science||MD Merajul Islam (NOBAB) 81677105540 Bengali, English, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biological Science, Statistics, Environmental Studies.|
|Humanities||Bengali, English, History, Geography, Economics, Political Science, Philosophy, Modern Computer Application, Environmental Studies, Nutrition.|
|Commerce||Bengali, English, Accountancy, Business Organization & Management, Business Economics Including Business Mathematics (BEBM), Economic Geography, Modern Computer Application, Economics, Environmental Studies.|
The library of the school had remained non-functional for a long time because of the absence of a librarian at the school. It was reopened under the control of Prabir Kr. Gope, an Assistant teacher. Old books have been restored by subsequently. At presenta Library Committee headed by an assistant teacher keeps the library going and lending and reading facilities are available. The students use the library facilities to prepare themselves for competitive examinations such as JEE, IIT, AIIMS, and AIEEE.
Every year, the annual sports of the school is held at Malda Zilla School Ground, and the Inter-Class WBGSTA Football Cup is held, organised by WBGSTA (West Bengal Government School Teachers' Association).
- Benoy Kumar Sarkar - Indian social scientist, professor, nationalist and founder of several institutes in Kolkata, including: the Bengali Institute of Sociology, Bengali Asia Academy, Bengali Dante Society, and Bengali Institute of American Culture.
- Asim Dasgupta - former Minister for Finance and Excise in the Left Front ministry in the Indian state of West Bengal.
- Subhash Bhowmick - born in West Bengal is a retired Indian football international player and club level coach and manager.
- Ramesh Chandra Ghosh - MABL lawyer, politician and associate of Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose. He was imprisoned in 1942 during Quit India Movement.
- In 2008, two students were awards at the Sadar Zone (English Bazar) Athletics Meet organized by DSSA (the District School Sports Association). A student secured second place in the high jump and a student secured third place in the 800 meter sprint.
- The school team has been honoured as the District Champion (Under 19 Years) in cricket consecutively for six years from 2001 to 2006 in the Dattu Fatkar CUP conducted by the DSSA (District School Sports Association).
- In 2006 the school team were Runners-up in football (Under 17 years) organized by the District School Sports Association.
- In 2005 the school team were Runners-up in kabadi (Under 19 years) organized by the District School Sports Association.
- In 2003 the school team were Runners-up in 5-Speed cricket tournament organized by the Hercules Cycle Company.
- In 1993 and 1994, a student won the Atlas Trophy in cycling.
- In 2008 the school team were Runners-up in football (Under 17 years) organized by the District School Sports Association.
|Eco - Club||Assisted by financial endowments of the Departments of Environment of both the government of India and the government of West Bengal and Paschimbanga Vijnan Mancha, the eco-club of the school undertakes activities relating to environmental issues.|
|Sports||The school students takes part in the soccer, cricket, Khokho and Kabhadi competitions under the guidance of the District Sports Association and the District School Sports Association.|
|Science and cultural programme||The students take part in science and cultural contests/seminars/exhibitions not only in the school but also in the district, state and national level.|
- Das, Arka (25 May 2010). "In withering mango, a lesson for a bloating belt". The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "About Malda Zilla School". www.maldazillaschool.nic.in. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Admission Procedure". www.maldazillaschool.nic.in. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Rules of the School". www.maldazillaschool.nic.in. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Subjects Taught in Higher Secondary". www.maldazillaschool.nic.in. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "About Library". www.maldazillaschool.nic.in. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Sports Activities". www.maldazillaschool.nic.in. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "English is must-learn, says Asim". The Telegraph. 18 December 2008. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "About English Bazar MLA Constituency". www.janpratinidhi.com. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Education for Poor Children". Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "Co-Curricular Activities". Retrieved 19 August 2019.