|Aminuddin Yahaya (President)|
|Ikatan Siswazah Muslim Malaysia (changed in 2005)|
|Malaysian Muslim Solidarity on Facebook|
Malaysian Muslim Solidarity (Malay: Ikatan Muslimin Malaysia, often known by its acronym ISMA) is a Malaysian ultraconservative Islamist non-government organisation. It was established in 1997 with the name Ikatan Siswazah Muslim Malaysia, which was later changed to Ikatan Muslimin Malaysia in 2005.
The organization is involved with Islamic propagation activities particularly focused on the Malay and Muslim demographics in Malaysia to "develop and empower Islamic civilizationin Malaysia on the basis of mutual justice” based on their slogan Melayu Sepakat, Islam Berdaulat (Malays Unite for Islam Sovereignty). The movement is particularly known for its vocal opposition towards what it claims to be rampant "influences of liberalism, presence of the Shia denonimation, and Christianization" in the country.
The organization now has 35 branches nationwide and 9 international branches.
ISMA is a member of Allied Coordinating Committee of Islamic NGOs (ACCIN). ISMA was one of the organisers of HIMPUN (Himpunan Sejuta Umat) public rally at Shah Alam Stadium on 22 October 2011. ISMA is also a member of Gerakan Pembela Ummah (UMMAH) of which its current President Aminuddin Yahaya is the Chairman of UMMAH.
Opposition to attempts at the Universal Periodic Review of Malaysia
The organisation was a major player in opposing the Coalition of Malaysian Non-Governmental Organizations (COMANGO) in 2008. The collective's main goal was to involve in the Universal Periodic Review of the country at that time. The organization claims that the collective in its seeking of cooperation with the United Nations to "bring forth and spread a Western-based liberal agenda"; many of its meetings were organized to speak of its opposition of the movement to the Malaysian public. The organization also accused Marina Mahathir of cooperating with the collective due to her membership in the Sisters in Islam directing body, which results in Marina files suit against ISMA for defamation.
Malaysian general election, 2013
ISMA has declared that they are not a political party and still a NGO while joining the Malaysian general election, 2013. The joining of their members were based on the ticket of Pan-Malaysian Islamic Front (BERJASA) party. None of their members who joined the general elections won although ISMA claimed that there were people supporting their motive for joining the general election.
In 2014, the then-President Ustaz Abdullah Zaik Abd Rahman who stated in the organisation's mouthpiece portal that "the Chinese immigrants who were brought into Malaya by British are a type of imbreachment", as a kind of respond to some Malaysian Chinese who commented and intervene on hudud discussion has caused a spark among them. Abdullah Zaik refused to apologise despite numerous police reports having been lodged against him.
Challenges to proclaim Islamic State in Malaysia
In 26 December 2018, the organization launched a petition which it believes as a path to promote and reaffirm goals of making Malaysia a "Islamic state", as evidential by said petition's slogan Malaysia Negara Islam ("Malaysia is a Islamic State"). The campaign sparked criticism from significant groups inculding the moderate group G25 of Malaysia dan army veterans group Persatuan Patriot Kebangsaan (PATRIOT).
- Aeria, Andrew; Tan, Seng Keat (2014). "A Long and Winding Road to Democracy: The 2013 Asian Democracy Index for Malaysia" (PDF). Asian Democracy Review. 3: 49–64.
- Shazwan Mustafa Kamal (16 May 2014). "In Isma, a portrait of political Islam driven by urban middle-class professionals |". Malay Mail. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Ahmad Fauzi Abdul Hamid; Che Hamdan Che Mohd Razali (2016). Middle Eastern influences on Islamist organizations in Malaysia: the cases of ISMA, IRF and HTM. ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute. ISBN 978-981-4695-92-3. OCLC 1096436460.
- Lebih 6 juta belia hadapi krisis identiti. Utusan Malaysia. Accessed 27 March 2012.
- ISMA adakan 20 siri ceramah ‘Bahaya Comango’ besar-besaran. ISMAWeb. Capaian 24 November 2013
- Kenyataan media berhubung pengedaran risalah “Tuntutan Gabungan NGO Liberal Comango Cabar Kedudukan Islam”. ISMAWeb. Capaian 10 Mei 2014
- Marina to ISMA: Retract Comango link or face legal action. The Malay Mail Online. Capaian 24 November 2013.
- Kes Marina Mahathir saman Isma disebut Mei depan. Sinar Harian. Capaian 10 mei 2014
- Mageswari, M. "Marina settles suit against Isma - Nation | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- Ogos 17, Bernama |; Myt, 2015 20:35. "Dalang Comango: Kes saman Marina selesai | Astro Awani". www.astroawani.com (in Malay). Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- ISMA is non-partisan and Islamic. ISMAWeb. Retrieved 10 May 2014
- Manimaran, G. 17 February 2013. Isma tanding PRU13 guna tiket Berjasa. Sinar Harian. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Keputusan PRU13 bagi 7 tokoh ISMA. ISMAWeb. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- Hampir capai sepenuhnya matlamat: Presiden ucap terima kasih pada semua penyokong BERJASA PRU13. ISMAWeb. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Kedatangan pendatang Cina bersama penjajah British satu bentuk pencerobohan". Portal Islam dan Melayu. 6 May 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- Yuen Meikeng. 9 May 2014. MCA: Charge Isma chief and curb racial bigotry. The Star Online.
- DAP challenges Najib to openly say he doesn’t agree with Isma Archived 14 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine. The Malaysian Insider. Retrieved 14 May 2014.
- "ISMA's Campaign to declare Malaysia an Islamic State". g25-malaysia. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "PATRIOT SUPPORTS G25 AGAINST ISMA'S PETITION FOR ISLAMIC STATE". www.patriotkebangsaan.org.my. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "Mufti Negeri Sembilan sokong kempen 'Malaysia Negara Islam'". Portal Islam dan Melayu | ISMAWeb. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "Mufti Terengganu sokong kempen 'Malaysia Negara Islam'". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "Mufti Perak sokong kempen 'Malaysia Negara Islam'". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 4 February 2019.