|Founded||September 1951 |
(as knock-out cup tournament)
2008 (as League)
2019 (as knock-out cup tournament)
|Number of teams||64|
|Current champions||Terengganu City (1st title) |
|Most championships||Selangor (7th title)|
|TV partners||Astro Arena|
|2019 Malaysia FAM Cup|
The FAM Cup (Malay: Piala FAM) is the knock-out tournament for the clubs/teams in Liga M3 and Liga M4 in Malaysia. The tournament is currently a cup format, but from 2008 to 2018 it was held as a league tournament and used the name FAM League (Malay: Liga FAM).
- 1951–1973: as a secondary knockout competition between state teams only after Piala Malaysia.
- 1974–1989: as a secondary knockout competition between club teams only after Piala Malaysia.
- 1990–2007: as a third-tier knockout competition.
- 2008–2018 : as a third-tier league competition.
- 2019–present: as a third-tier knockout competition.
Piala FAM was established in August 1951 as a secondary knockout competition to the more prestigious Malaya Cup. The competition were held between the state teams including Singapore, Police, Army, and Prisons Department of Malaysia in its early days. The inaugural season started in September 1951 after the Malaya Cup final concluded. The final match was held on 26 April 1952 between Penang and Selangor which was won by Penang. Starting in 1974, the state teams were barred from entering the competition and only the club sides could enter.
With the advent of two-league Semi-Pro League in 1989, FAM Cup becomes the third-tier competition. In 1993, the format of the competition was changed to include a two-group league followed by the traditional knockout format. Promotion to the professional M-League were introduced for the first time in 1997, Johor FC and NS Chempaka were the first two sides to be promoted that year.
The final knockout competition format was played for 2007 season where four clubs were promoted including the champions, runner-up and the losing semi-finalists. In 2008, a further changes were made when the knockout stages were abolished and double round-robin league format was introduced. The tournament now known as Liga FAM.
In 2016, FAM decided to rename the competition again from Liga FAM back to its original name, the Piala FAM. However, the format of the competition still be competed as a league tournament as before. The final match for 2016 season has been broadcast by Astro Arena.
A total of 16 clubs competed in the competition for 2017 season and was divided into two groups. On 15 February 2017, Sungai Ara withdrew from the league and left the competition with 15 clubs in total.
Since the inception of the competition in 1951, numerous logo has been introduced to reflect the sponsorship. During the introduction of 2017 season a new logo has been unveiled.
The current logo will be used from 2017 Piala FAM season.
Below are the list of clubs competing in 2018 season.
|Club Name||Year Joined||First Season
in Liga FAM
|Current Spell in
|Last Spell in|
|Petaling Jaya Rangers||2015||2015||3||2015–||–|
|No.||Season||Champions||Runners-up||Score in final|
|2||1953||Kelantan||Selangor||1–1 (Trophy shared)|
|3||1954||Kelantan||Combined Services @ ATM FA||2–1|
|5||1956||Penang||Negeri Sembilan FA||5–1|
|7||1958||Combined Services @ ATM FA||Malacca FA||3–1|
|22||1973||Penjara F.C.||Johor FA||1–0|
|23||1974||UMNO Selangor F.C.||Kuantan||2–1|
|24||1975||Kuantan||LKPP Kelantan F.C.||1–0|
|25||1976||Kelab Sukan Adabi||Kuantan||1–0|
|26||1977||Kuantan||Kelab Kilat Kota Bharu||2–2 (Trophy shared)|
|27||1978||NS Indians F.C.||PKNS F.C.||0–0 (Trophy shared)|
|28||1979||PKNS F.C.||Hong Chin F.C.||2–1|
|29||1980||Darulmakmur F.C.||NS Indians F.C.||4–1|
|30||1981||SPPP FC||UMBC F.C.||4–2|
|31||1982||Kelab Sultan Sulaiman||MARA F.C.||2–0|
|33||1984||Johor Bahru FA||Faizar Haris F.C.||2–1|
|34||1985||KL Cheqpoint F.C.||DBKL F.C.||1–0|
|36||1987||DBKL F.C.||Kinta Indians F.C.||1–0|
|38||1989||PKNK FC||DBKL F.C.||1–0|
|40||1990-91||DBKL F.C.||Public Bank F.C.||1–0|
|41||1991-92||PKNK F.C.||Intel F.C.||2–1 (a.e.t.)|
|42||1993||Intel F.C.||PKNP F.C.||1–1 (a.e.t.) 5–4 (PSO)|
|43||1994||PKENJ F.C.||Intel F.C.||PKENJ F.C. won 1–0 on aggregate |
1st leg 1–0; 2nd leg 0–0
|44||1995||PKENJ F.C.||LKPP Pahang F.C.||PKENJ F.C. won 2–0 on aggregate |
1st leg 1–0; 2nd leg 0–1
|45||19961||TM F.C.||PKENJ F.C.||TM FC won 4–3 on penalty |
1st leg 2–1; 2nd leg 0–1
|46||1997||ATM||NS Chempaka F.C.||ATM FA won 3–0 on aggregate |
1st leg 2–0; 2nd leg 1–0
|47||1998||TM FC||TNB F.C.||TM FC won 5–1 on aggregate |
1st leg 4–0; 2nd leg 1–1
|48||1999||JKR F.C.||Malay Mail F.C.||4–2|
|49||2000||JKR F.C.||PDRM FA||1–1 (a.e.t.) 6–5 (PSO)|
|50||2001||MPPJ FC||SAJ Holdings F.C.||3–1|
|51||2002||JPS F.C.||TKN F.C.||5–0|
|52||2003||PKNS F.C.||MK Land F.C.||3–1|
|53||2004||Suria NTFA F.C.||UPB Jendarata F.C.||2–1|
|54||2005||Kelantan||Shahzan Muda S.C.||2–0|
|55||2006||Pasir Gudang United F.C.||ATM||3–0|
|56||2007||Proton F.C.||Beverly F.C.||4–2|
|57||2008||T-Team||MBJB F.C.||Held as league tournament|
|58||2009||Pos Malaysia F.C.||USM FC||Held as league tournament|
|59||2010||Sime Darby F.C.||SDM Navy Kepala Batas F.C.||Held as league tournament|
|60||2011||NS Betaria FC||MBJB F.C.||Held as league tournament|
|61||2012||Putrajaya SPA F.C.||Shahzan Muda S.C.||Held as league tournament|
|62||2013||Penang||PBAPP F.C.||Held as league tournament|
|63||2014||Kuantan||Kuala Lumpur||Held as league tournament|
|64||2015||Melaka United||Perlis FA||3–2|
|65||2016||MISC-MIFA||PKNP F.C.||MIFA won 3–1 on aggregate |
1st leg 1–0; 2nd leg 1–2
|66||2017||Sime Darby F.C.||UKM F.C.||Sime Darby won 3–2 on aggregate |
1st leg 1–0; 2nd leg 2–2
|67||2018||Terengganu City||Selangor United||2–0|
Performances by clubs/teams and states
Performance by club (1952–present)
|Sime Darby F.C.|
|Kelab Sukan Adabi|
|NS Indians FC|
|Darul Makmur FC|
|Kelab Sultan Sulaiman|
|Johor Bahru FA|
|KL Cheq Point FC|
|Suria NTFA F.C.|
|Pasir Gudang United|
|Pos Malaysia F.C.|
|NS Betaria F.C.|
|Putrajaya SPA F.C.|
|Shahzan Muda S.C.|
Performance by states (1952–present)
- Atsushi Fujioka; Erik Garin; Mikael Jönsson; Hans Schöggl (11 January 2018). "FA of Malaysia Cup". Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "SAFA say 'no' to FAM". The Singapore Free Press. National Library Board. 4 September 1951. p. 6. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "4 Zones in F.A.M. Cup Tourney". The Straits Times. National Library Board. 15 August 1951. p. 12. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Johore swamp Malacca 8-3 in F. A. M. Cup". The Straits Times. National Library Board. 15 December 1951. p. 12. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Penang XI for FAM Cup final". The Straits Times. National Library Board. 21 April 1952. p. 12. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "PFA should not change this team". The Straits Times. National Library Board. 30 April 1952. p. 11. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Jeffrey M (14 August 2007). "Beverly In Final". New Sabah Times. Sabah Rhinos. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Football: Beverly Sabah-Proton Selangor clash Saturday". The Star. 17 August 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Muhammad Zuhaily Badlishah (24 October 2016). "DRB-Hicom tarik diri dari Liga M" (in Malay). Kosmo!. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Dari Liga FAM Ke Piala AFC" (in Malay). Kelate.net. 6 October 2011. Archived from the original on 17 October 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Denda pasukan tarik diri daripada Piala FAM". Bernama (in Malay). Sinar Harian. 14 February 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Sidang Media Pra Perlawanan Akhir Pertama Piala FAM 2016, MISC-MIFA lwn PKNP FC" (in Malay). Football Association of Malaysia. 20 October 2016. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Keputusan Undian Piala FAM, Piala Presiden & Piala Belia 2017" (in Malay). Football Association of Malaysia. 2 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Sungai Ara FC Withdraw From 2017 FAM Cup Competition" (in Malay). Bernama. 15 February 2017. Archived from the original on 17 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "Sungai Ara FC tarik diri Piala FAM". Bernama (in Malay). Berita Harian. 15 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Khairul Nizam (16 February 2017). "Sungai Ara FC tarik diri dari saingan Piala FAM 2017" (in Malay). Fourth Official. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- "PENSTRUKTURAN SEMULA FORMAT PERTANDINGAN & PENYERTAAN PASUKAN PIALA FAM 2019". fam.org.my. 19 December 2018. Retrieved 20 December 2018.