|Make a Move|
|Directed by||Niyi Akinmolayan|
|Produced by||Ivie Okujaye|
Make a Move is a 2014 Nigerian dance musical film produced by Ivie Okujaye and directed by Niyi Akinmolayan, starring Ivie Okujaye, Tina Mba, Beverly Naya, Wale Adebayo, Victor Godfery, Helga Sosthenes and Eno Ekpenyong, with special appearances from Majid Michel, Denrele Edun, 2face Idibia and Omawumi Megbele.
Make a Move tells the story of Osas (Ivie Okujaye) and Eseosa who come from troubled homes. Osas finds comfort in dancing and uses it as a means to get away from her many problems including her home, which is falling apart.
- Ivie Okujaye as Osas
- Tina Mba
- Beverly Naya
- Wale Adebayo
- Victor Godfery
- Helga Sosthenes as Esosa
- Eno Ekpenyong as Chuma
- Majid Michel
- Denrele Edun
- 2face Idibia
- Omawumi Megbele
The film received generally negative critical reviews. It got a 39% rating on Nollywood Reinvented, which stated: "The major flaw of this movie comes with its presentation of the emotions. It's in the music, it's in the directing, it's in the atmosphere that the movie sets or doesn’t set earlier on. In the first third of the movie, the direction seemed haphazard. It was almost as though the fast-paced scenes were happening faster than the camera could follow, if that was intentional it did not come off as skilled nor did it help the mood". Olamide Jasanya of The Nigeria Entertainment Today gave a rating of 2 out of 5 stars, stating that the story is basic and focused too much on one character. He faulted the character development, said the cinematography was poor in some scenes but beautiful in most other scenes and concluded: "Akinmolayan may have learnt his lesson from the heavy criticism his 2010 sci-fi movie Kajola fetched him, so he took a rather realistic approach with this movie and it turned out well, with some new and unusual camera shots, he however didn’t do well at evoking emotions from the characters, neither did he pay enough attention to continuity". Isabella Akinseye comments: "Make a Move was met with very high expectations. Unfortunately, the movie disappoints with its averagely choreographed sequences, script loopholes and unconvincing acting by most of the cast. On a positive note, the movie makes a case against domestic abuse. For Ivie [Okujaye], it's one step forward, two steps back".
Wilfred Okiche of YNaija panned everything about the film and commented: "Make a Move has a plot and story that manages to stay on course but the film is so dull and formulaic that almost nothing is exciting. The screenplay is mostly unchallenging and for its entire running time, the film plays like it is directed at 12 year olds," "the end result is cluttered and clumsy with awkward takes and uncomfortable moments. Akinmolayan just directs scene for scene by rote, bringing with him no particular excitement or even film experience".
The film received three nominations at the 2014 Nollywood Movies Awards, including "Best Movie", "Best Actor (Supporting Role)" for Wale Adebayo and "Best Child Actor" for Helger Sosthenes. It was also nominated in 2 categories at the 2015 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|Nollywood Movies Network
(2014 Nollywood Movies Awards)
|Best Movie||Niyi Akinmolayan||Nominated|
|Best Actor (Supporting Role)||Wale Adebayo||Nominated|
|Best Child Actor||Helger Sosthenes||Nominated|
(2015 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards)
|Best Movie (Drama)||Niyi Akinmolayan||Nominated|
|Best Actress in a Drama||Ivie Okujaye||Nominated|
- Izuzu, Chidumga (26 May 2014). "Make A Move Movie Set To Premiere on the 29th of May". Pulse NG. Retrieved 19 June 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "COMING SOON: Make A Move Nollywood Reinvented". Nollywood Reinvented. 8 March 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Campbell, Timmy (8 March 2014). "2face Returns To Nollywood in the Movie: Make A Move Along Side Majid Michel And Others…". NaijaLoaded. Retrieved 14 March 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Make a Move". Nollywood Reinvented. 2 September 2014. Retrieved 10 September 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Jasanya, Olamide (16 June 2014). "Make a Move: Another poor attempt at making a dance movie [Review]". The Nigeria Entertainment Today. The NET. Retrieved 22 June 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Akinseye, Isabella (22 July 2014). "Movie Review – Make a Move By Isabella Akinseye". Retrieved 6 August 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Okiche, Wilfred. "Movie review: Ivie Okujaiye's 'Make a move' makes all the wrong ones". YNaija Magazine. YNaija. Retrieved 10 September 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Flower Girl Wins Big at Nollywood Movie Awards". Nigeria News Digest. 21 October 2014. Archived from the original on 2 November 2014. Retrieved 2 November 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Africa Magic Viewers' Choice Awards 2015 nominees list out". Ghana Web. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 23 December 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "AMVCA winners announced". Archived from the original on 17 April 2015. Retrieved 9 March 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)