Today's featured article
"San Junipero" is the fourth episode of the third series of the science fiction anthology programme Black Mirror. Premiering on Netflix on 21 October 2016 with the rest of series three, the episode stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw and Mackenzie Davis (pictured) as the outgoing Kelly and the more introverted Yorkie. They meet at a 1980s nightclub in San Junipero, a beach resort town. Written by series creator Charlie Brooker as an optimistic love story, it is more positive in tone than previous episodes. "San Junipero" was the first episode written following the show's departure from Channel 4; it was inspired by nostalgia therapy and originally featured a heterosexual couple. Some pieces of music, such as "Heaven Is a Place on Earth" by Belinda Carlisle, hint at the episode's plot twist. Filming took place in Cape Town, South Africa, and London, England, with Owen Harris as director. The episode received critical acclaim, winning two Primetime Emmy Awards and two British Academy Television Craft Awards. (Full article...)
In the news
- More than 70 people are killed and dozens of others are injured in an explosion at an oil pipeline near Tlahuelilpan, Mexico.
- Four months after the Swedish general election, the Riksdag re-elects incumbent Stefan Löfven (pictured) as Prime Minister.
- A car bombing at the General Santander National Police Academy in Bogotá, Colombia, kills twenty-one people.
- In Zimbabwe, eight people are killed amid protests over the government's increase in the price of fuel.
- Former Ivory Coast President Laurent Gbagbo is acquitted of crimes against humanity by the International Criminal Court.