|Magnolia High School|
1400 High School Drive
|School district||Magnolia School District|
|NCES District ID||0500044|
|NCES School ID||050004400656|
|Color(s)|| Red |
|Team name||Magnolia Panthers|
|Affiliation||Arkansas Activities Association|
Magnolia High School is a comprehensive public high school in Magnolia, Arkansas, United States that serves grades 10 through 12. It is one of three public high schools in Columbia County and the only high school managed by the Magnolia School District. It serves Magnolia, Village, McNeil, and Waldo.
The high school's attendance area expanded due to consolidations in the 20th and 21st centuries. Village School District consolidated into the Magnolia district on July 1, 1986. The Walker School District consolidated into the Magnolia district on July 1, 2004. The Waldo School District consolidated into the Magnolia district on July 1, 2006. The Arkansas Board of Education voted to dissolve the Stephens School District in 2014, and the portion in Columbia County, serving McNeil and the surrounding area, was given to the Magnolia School District.
The assumed course of study is the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education. Students may engage in regular and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams prior to graduation. Magnolia has been a charter member and accredited by AdvancED (formerly North Central Association) since 1924.
Awards and recognition
In 2012, Magnolia School District and its high school were recognized in the AP District of the Year Awards program in the College Board's 3rd Annual Honor Roll that consisted of 539 U.S. public school districts (6 in Arkansas) that simultaneously achieved increases in access to AP® courses for a broader number of students and improved the rate at which their AP students earned scores of 3 or higher on an AP Exam.
The Magnolia High School mascot is the Panther with school colors of red and white.
For 2012–14, the Magnolia Panthers participate in the 5A South Conference for interscholastic activities administered by the Arkansas Activities Association (AAA) including baseball, basketball (boys/girls), cheer, dance, cross country, football, golf (boys/girls), softball, and track and field.
The Panthers boys basketball team has captured seven state titles between 1971 and 1997. The boys track and field teams have won six state championships between 1972 and 2011.
Clubs and traditions
Magnolia High School students engage in a variety of clubs and organizations including:
- Alpha Club
The following are notable people associated with Magnolia High School. If the person was a Magnolia High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included
- Billy Joe Daugherty (1970) — Pastor
- Lane Jean — Mayor of Magnolia prior to 2011; state representative from Columbia, Lafayette, and Miller counties since 2011
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Magnolia School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 4, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - Magnolia High School (050004400656)". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved Sep 4, 2012.
- "MAGNOLIA HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 26, 2019.
- "SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP (2010 CENSUS): Columbia County, AR." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on May 23, 2018. Note that since the publication of this map, in 2014 the Columbia County portion of the Stephens School District was absorbed by the Magnolia district. While the Waldo School District boundaries are indicated on the map, that district consolidated into the Magnolia district on July 1, 2006.
- "ConsolidationAnnex_from_1983.xls." Arkansas Department of Education. Retrieved on October 13, 2017.
- McNeill, Mike (2014-04-11). "5-2 state board vote shuts down Stephens School District". Magnolia Reporter. Retrieved 2018-05-23.
- "School Profile, Magnolia High School". AdvancED. Retrieved Sep 7, 2012.
- "AP District of the Year Awards: 3rd Annual Honor Roll" (PDF). College Board. 14 November 2012.
- "School Profile, Magnolia High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved Sep 4, 2012.
- "2012-13 Record Book" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-31. Retrieved Sep 4, 2012.