|Traded as||NYSE: MAC|
S&P 500 Index Component
|Industry||Real estate investment trust|
|Headquarters||Santa Monica, California|
|Steven Hash (Chairman of the Board)|
Thomas O'Hern (CEO)
Edward Coppola (President)
Scott Kingsmore (CFO)
|Revenue||$0.960 billion (2018)|
|$0.060 billion (2018)|
|Total assets||$9.026 billion (2018)|
|Total equity||$3.188 billion (2018)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Macerich is a real estate investment trust that invests in shopping centers. It is the third-largest owner and operator of shopping centers in the United States. As of December 31, 2017, the company owned interests in 55 properties comprising 53 million square feet of leasable area. The company name is a portmanteau of its founders, Mace Siegel and Richard Cohen.
The company traces its antecedents to the MaceRich Real Estate Company founded in New York in 1964 by Mace Siegel and Richard Cohen who combined their first names to name their company.
In 2006, the company name was rebranded to "Macerich."
In 2002, Macerich acquired Phoenix, Arizona-based Westcor for $1.475 billion. The purchase added 9 properties to Macerich's portfolio making them the largest mall owner in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area.
- "The Macerich Company 2018 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Padgett, Mike (May 31, 2002). "Westcor sold for $1.5B". American City Business Journals.
- Smith, Ray A. (December 24, 2004). "Macerich to Acquire Wilmorite Properties In $1.45 Billion Deal". The Wall Street Journal.
- Stahl, George (April 1, 2015). "Macerich Rejects Simon Property's $16.8 Billion Takeover Bid". The Wall Street Journal.
- Gara, Antoine (April 1, 2015). "Simon Property Withdraws $95.50 A Share Macerich Takeover Bid". Forbes.
- "Fulcrum Property - Arden Fair Mall". www.fulcrumproperty.com.
- Yu, Hui-yong (January 4, 2016). "Macerich Sells Mall Interests to GIC, Heitman for $2.3 Billion". Bloomberg News.
- "Country Club Plaza will sell $660 million". The Kansas City Star. January 4, 2016.
- DiStefano, Joseph N. (July 31, 2014). "Mall developer Macerich Co. to invest $106.8M in Gallery revival effort". The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- Macerich Home Page
- Business data for Macerich: