|Undergraduates||350 (and 100 pre-college)|
|Affiliations||AEC European Association of Conservatoires - ELIA European League of Institutes of the Arts|
The Maastricht Academy of Music, Dutch: Conservatorium Maastricht, located in the city of Maastricht, is one of nine music academies in the Netherlands. The academy is a faculty of the Zuyd University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool Zuyd in Dutch) for the Bachelor programme and the "Zuid Nederlandse Hogeschool voor Muziek" for the Master programme, in co-operation with the Fontys Academy of Music and Performing Arts. The academy provides advanced vocational training.
The music academy collaborates with the two other art faculties of the Zuyd University: the Maastricht Academy of Dramatic Arts and the Maastricht Academy of Fine Arts and with the Faculty of Arts and Culture of Maastricht University.
Programs and degrees offered
The Maastricht Academy of Music has departments for European classical music, Jazz, Musical composition, and Opera. The academy proposes a 4 years Bachelor's programme (BMus and BMus ed.) and a two years Master's programme (MMus).
The number of foreign students is ca. 65% from more than 45 different countries. After consultation, non-Dutch speaking students can take exams in French, German, or English. Also, theses and other work can be written in one of these 3 languages. Many lessons and courses can be offered in English.
The academy collaborates and has international exchange programmes with leadings music schools in Europe, such as the Hochschule für Musik Köln (Cologne), (Germany); the Royal Conservatory of Brussels, (Belgium); the Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien; and the Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Graz, (Austria).
- 1962: Founding of the academy.
- 1965: New building at Bonnenfantenstraat 15, Maastricht (architect: P.H. Dingemans).
- 2001: The academy becomes a faculty of the Zuyd University.
- 200?: Creation of the Zuid Nederlandse Hogeschool voor Muziek for the Postgraduate programme in co-operation with the Fontys Conservatorium.
- 2009: Start of a joint master's degree with the Maastricht University.
Festivals and competitions
Since 1990, the Conservatorium organizes an annual festival. Themes were:
Since 2001, the conservatorium organizes the Music Awards Maastricht, an annual competition, in collaboration with the Rotary International.
Conservatorium Maastricht people
- Boris Belkin: Violin
- Mya Besselink: Singer
- Mirel Iancovici: Cello
- Michael Kugel: Viola
- Arno Piters: Clarinet
- Robert HP Platz: Composition
- Carlo Marchione: Guitar
- Will Sanders: Horn
- Avi Schönfeld: Piano
- Robert Szreder: Violin
- Marcin Dylla: Guitarist
- Margriet Ehlen: Composer and conductor
- Turid Karlsen: soprano
- Goran Krivokapić: Guitarist
- Marjon Lambriks: soprano
- André Rieu: Violinist and conductor
- Will Sanders: Horn player
- Glenn Corneille: Jazz pianist
- Carmen Monarcha: Singer
- David Satian: Composer, Jazz Pianist
- Carla Maffioletti: Singer
- Maastricht Academy of Music website
- European Association of Conservatoires (AEC)
- Overview of Professional Music Training System in The Netherlands. European Association of Conservatoires (AEC).
- Opleidingsprofiel, Muziek, Netwerk Muziek, oktober 2002, PDF (Dutch)
- Conservatories in Transition, October 2004.
- The Nederlands-Vlaamse Accreditatie Organisatie (NVAO)