|MRT Circle Line|
|Native name||Laluan MRT Lingkaran|
|Status||Shelved on 30 May 2018 until further notice|
|System||KVMRT Line 3 (MRT3)|
(Ampang Jaya - Bandar Malaysia - KL Eco City - Bukit Kiara - Sentul - Setapak - Ampang)
|Planned opening||March 2028|
|Line length||40 km (25 mi)|
Elevated: 8 km (5.0 mi)
Underground: 32 km (20 mi)
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in) standard gauge|
|Conduction system||Automated and driverless|
|Operating speed||Maximum operating speed of 100 km per hour|
MRT Circle Line
The MRT 3, MRT Line 3 or MRT Circle Line was a proposed thirteenth rail transit line, the fifth fully automated and driverless rail system in Klang Valley area. If completed, this line would form the loop line of the Greater KL/Klang Valley Integrated Transit System. The director of this project is the former chief executive officer of Rapid Rail, Dato' Ir. Zohari Sulaiman.
It was one of three planned rail lines under Klang Valley Mass Rapid Transit Project by MRT Corp. Announcement of alignment and station locations was expected during the second quarter of 2011. The MRT Circle Line was expected to cover the hotspots surrounding the Bandar Malaysia, Ampang, KL Ecocity, Bukit Kiara and Sentul. Interest in building the line resurfaced in early 2015, but the project was then shelved by Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad in May 2018.
- 12 August 2016 - MRT Corp announced that it is expected to submit the study on the MRT Line 3 to the government by year-end.
- 6 September 2017 - Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai indicated that plans are being drawn up to fast-track the construction of MRT 3 for completion before 2027.
- 27 October 2017 - During Budget 2018 announced on 27 Oct 2017, Prime Minister Najib Razak indicated that plans are being drawn up to fast-track the construction of MRT 3 for completion before 2025.
- 3 January 2018 - The former CEO of Rapid Rail, Dato' Ir. Zohari Sulaiman, is appointed by MRTCorp to be the project director of this project.
- 30 May 2018 - Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad announced that the government would scrap the MRT 3 rail transit project.
- 23 December 2019 - Transport Minister Anthony Loke - Review of MRT3 under way.
Comments from MRT Corp. CEO
On 1 June 2018 (2 days after the project has been shelved by the Prime Minister), Dato' Sri Shahril Mokhtar who is the Chief Executive Officer of MRT Corp said that the cancellation of the project is not a mistake but it still needs to be done in the future.
"We abide by the government’s decision (to discontinue the project) but we also acknowledge that the MRT line 3 is critical to close all the loop. We hope that one day in the future, once the government’s fiscal position gets better, the government will consider this.", he added.
Sentul-Maluri alignment possibility
|Station Code||Station Name||Platform type||Interchange/Notes|
|Sentul Timur||Terminal||Interchange with Sri Petaling Line, at Sentul Timur.|
|Sentul||Possible interchange with Seremban Line at KTM Sentul.|
|Sentul West||Possible interchange with Putrajaya Line at Sentul West.|
|Publika shopping gallery|
|Pusat Sains Negara|
|Bukit Kiara||Possible interchange with Kajang Line, at Bukit Kiara.|
|KL Gateway–Universiti||Possible interchange with Kelana Jaya Line, at KL Gateway–Universiti.|
|Angkasapuri||Possible interchange station to Port Klang Line, at Angkasapuri.|
|Old Klang Road|
|Kuchai Lama||Possible interchange with Putrajaya Line, at Kuchai Lama.|
|Salak Selatan||Possible interchange with Seremban Line at KTM Salak Selatan.|
|Bandar Sri Permaisuri|
|Maluri||Terminal||Terminus. Possible interchange with Kajang Line, replacing the existing built Maluri LRT station.|
Other possible stations
- Bandar Malaysia South - Interchange with Putrajaya Line
- Kerinchi - Interchange with Kelana Jaya Line
- Setiawangsa - Interchange with Kelana Jaya Line
- Jelatek - Interchange with Kelana Jaya Line
- Mid Valley - Interchange with Seremban Line
Sentul-Bangsar alignment possibility
- "Govt scraps MRT 3 project". The Star Online. Star Media Group Berhad. 30 May 2018. Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- "MRT Corp calls for tender to build and finance MRT3 line". The Edge Markets. 6 November 2017.
- "MRT Corp planning 3rd line for Klang Valley". New Straits Times.
- "Kuala Lumpur MRT, Malaysia" (PDF). Global Mass Transit Research.
- "MRT Corp appoints Zohari Sulaiman as MRT3 project director". NST Online. 2018-01-03. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- Wong, Joseph (5 February 2015). "Eyes now on MRT Line 3". The Ant Daily. Archived from the original on 19 May 2015.
- "PM Mahathir : Malaysia's planned MRT3 cancelled". The Edge Markets. 2018-05-30. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "Govt slams brakes on MRT3 and HSR projects". NST Online. 2018-05-30. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "MRT Corp to submit Line 3 study to govt by year-end". The Star Online. Star Media Group Berhad. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Plans to fast-track MRT 3's completion". The Star Online. Star Media Group Berhad. 6 September 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Review of MRT3 under way". The Star Online. Star Media Group Berhad. 23 December 2019. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- "MRT CEO: The MRT3 project should be carried out in future to 'close the loop'". NST Online. 2018-06-01. Retrieved 2018-06-02.
- "Possible segment of MRT Circle Line at Ekspo Negaraku 2017". Retrieved 9 February 2018.
- "PM: Reducing road traffic a game changer in transforming lifestyle of Malaysians". Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- Mass Rapid Transit Corporation Sdn Bhd (MRT Corp)
- Prasarana Malaysia Berhad (Prasarana)
- Suruhanjaya Pengangkutan Awam Darat (SPAD)
- MRT Circle Line - mrt.com.my