|Original title||MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing|
|Publisher||Modern Language Association of America|
Published in English
|Media type||Print; large print; also listed as available as audiobook|
|Pages||xxiv & 336|
|LC Class||PN147 .G444 2008|
|Preceded by||MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (2nd ed., by Joseph Gibaldi)|
The MLA Style Manual, titled the MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing in its second (1998) and third edition (2008), is an academic style guide by the Modern Language Association of America (MLA) first published in 1985. An abridged version for students is published under the title MLA Handbook.
MLA documentation style is used in scholarship throughout the humanities, especially in English studies, modern languages and literatures, comparative literature, literary criticism, media studies, cultural studies, and related disciplines.
The MLA Style Manual is one of two books on MLA documentation style published by the MLA. While the MLA Handbook is aimed at secondary and post-secondary students and their teachers, the intended audience of the Manual primarily consists of graduate students, academic scholars, professors, professional writers, and editors.
Both the MLA Handbook and the MLA Style Manual were preceded by a slim booklet titled the MLA Style Sheet, first published in 1951 and revised in 1970. The Style Sheet was allowed to go out of print after the commercial success of the Handbook, creating the need for the Manual as a companion to the Handbook.
- Gibaldi, Joseph (1998). MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing (Second ed.). New York: Modern Language Association of America. p. iv. ISBN 0-87352-699-6.
- Achtert, Walter S.; Gibaldi, Joseph (1985). The MLA Style Manual (First ed.). New York: Modern Language Association of America. p. vii. ISBN 978-0-87352-136-9.
- "Is a new edition of the MLA Style Manual going to be published?". The MLA Style Center. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "The MLA Style Manual". Modern Language Association. Retrieved 19 April 2017.
- Achtert, Walter S., and Joseph Gibaldi. The MLA Style Manual. New York: Modern Language Association (MLA), 1985. Print.
- Modern Language Association of America. The MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers. New York: MLA, 1977. 7th ed. New York
- MLA, 2009. ISBN 1-60329-024-9 (10). ISBN 978-1-60329-024-1 (13). ISBN 1-60329-025-7 (10). ISBN 978-1-60329-025-8 (13). Print.
- MLA. MLA Style Manual and Guide to Scholarly Publishing. 3rd ed. New York: MLA, 2008. ISBN 978-0-87352-297-7 [S182C] (cloth). ISBN 978-0-87352-298-4 (paper). Print. [Also available in a large-print ed.]
- "What Is MLA Style?" MLA.org. Modern Language Association, 2011. Web. 31 Jan. 2011.