This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
David Llewellyn Harding (12 October 1867 – 26 December 1952), known professionally as Lyn Harding, was a Welsh actor who spent 40 years on the stage before entering British made silent films, talkies and radio. He had an imposing and menacing stage presence and came to be cast as the villain in many films, notably Professor Moriarty in dramatisations of the Sherlock Holmes stories.
He started his career as an apprentice draper in Newport, Wales and but he was drawn to an acting career. He began giving readings from Shakespeare at a chapel in Cardiff. In 1890 a chance meeting with a touring group on a train led to him standing in for a sick actor and his first professional engagement. He opened on 28 August 1890 in The Grip Of Iron at the Theatre Royal, Bristol.
He later changed his name to "Lyn" to make it more acceptable to English audiences who found "Llewellyn" difficult to pronounce.
His career spanned stage, silent screen, talkies and radio productions and he toured in the United States, Japan, India and Burma. He worked at different times with John Gielgud, Ralph Richardson and Anthony Quayle.
He lived for about ten years in Leverstock Green, near Hemel Hempstead where he played an active role in the local community, even staging plays and revues with fellow actors to help raise funds for a much needed parish hall. He died in London in 1952, aged 85.
- 1920 A Bachelor Husband
- 1922 When Knighthood Was in Flower
- 1924 Yolanda
- 1927 The Further Adventures of the Flag Lieutenant
- 1927 Land of Hope and Glory
- 1930 Sleeping Partners
- 1931 The Speckled Band
- 1932 The Barton Mystery
- 1933 The Constant Nymph
- 1934 The Lash
- 1934 The Man Who Changed His Name
- 1934 Wild Boy
- 1935 Escape Me Never
- 1935 The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes
- 1935 An Old Spanish Custom
- 1936 Spy of Napoleon
- 1936 The Man Who Changed His Mind
- 1937 Fire Over England
- 1937 Knight Without Armour
- 1937 Les Perles de la couronne
- 1937 Please Teacher
- 1937 Silver Blaze
- 1937 The Mutiny of the Elsinore
- 1937 Underneath the Arches
- 1939 Goodbye, Mr. Chips
- 1939 The Missing People
- 1941 The Prime Minister
- 1941 Murder at the Baskervilles (US re-release)
Selected stage credits
- The Speckled Band (1910, Conan Doyle)
- Henry VIII (1916, Shakespeare)
- Wild Heather (1917, Brandon)
- Grand Hotel (1931, Knoblock)
- "Lyn Harding". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- "Lyn Harding". IMDb. Retrieved 2019-01-01.
- Eyles, Alan (1986). Sherlock Holmes: A Centenary Celebration. Harper & Row. pp. 130. ISBN 0-06-015620-1.
- "Lyn Harding - The Arthur Conan Doyle Encyclopedia". www.arthur-conan-doyle.com. Retrieved 2019-01-03.
- Leverstock Green Chronicle pre 20th Home Page
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lyn Harding.|