Early life and education
Mangan grew up in Catford, south east London, but both her parents were originally from Lancashire. She studied English at Cambridge University and qualified as a solicitor, but worked instead in a bookshop until she found a work experience placement at The Guardian in 2003.
Mangan writes a regular column, TV reviews and occasional features at The Guardian. Her book My Family and other Disasters (2009) is a collection of her newspaper columns. She has also written books about her childhood and her wedding.
My Family and other Disasters was described by The Bookbag as "the kind of book to take on holiday, to dip into at random moments".
Hopscotch & Handbags was reviewed by Spiked as "souped-up, satin-sheet, five-star bilge – with lots and lots of lovely exaggeration, jokes and stylistic quirks." The review continues: "I can’t say I've ever found the experience of being a girl 'so appalling' that I have to retreat to the woods to howl – but reading Mangan’s book brings me close. Forget childbirth and Brazilian waxing, if you want a truly agonising female experience flick through Hopscotch and Handbags."
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Inside Charlie's Chocolate Factory was reviewed by the San Diego Book Review as "a book which must accompany viewing whichever platform your heart connects to Charlie, the boy we all dreamed we could be, befriend so we too could enjoy the spoils of the candy forest and meet the Umpa Lumpas first hand."
- My Family and other Disasters, Hachette (2010) ISBN 0852653689
- The Reluctant Bride: One Woman's Journey (Kicking and Screaming) Down the Aisle, Guardian Books (2012) ISBN 184854359X
- Hopscotch & Handbags: The Truth about Being a Girl, Headline (2013) ISBN 9780755316489
- Inside Charlie's Chocolate Factory, Puffin UK/US (2014) ISBN 9780147513489
- Bookworm: A Memoir of Childhood Reading, Square Peg (2018) ISBN 9781784709228
- Lucy Mangan's page at the Guardian Last accessed March 2016
- Mangan on her feminism, The Guardian, 19 September 2009
- Mangan, Lucy (5 October 2004). "Lucy Mangan: Crap jobs? Tell me about it" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Mangan, Lucy (18 September 2009). "Lucy Mangan: What feminism means to me" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Mangan, Lucy (5 March 2011). "Lucy Mangan: The feminist fight is not over yet" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Mangan, Lucy (16 November 2013). "Lucy Mangan: why feminism doesn't need rebranding" – via www.theguardian.com.
- Mangan, Lucy (9 August 2014). "Lucy Mangan: if we get bogged down in the Terf war we'll never achieve anything" – via www.theguardian.com.
- "Lucy Mangan's weekend column + Feminism – Lifeandstyle". The Guardian.
- Feminist education has been the making of me Interview with The Daily Telegraph, 6 May 2013
- Biography at Blake Freidman Agent's page, accessed March 2016
- Lucy Mangan's page at Stylist magazine Accessed March 2016
- "Roald Dahl Funny Prize 2012". www.booktrust.org.uk. Book Trust. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- "My_Family_and_Other_Disasters_by_Lucy_Mangan". www.thebookbag.co.uk. The Bookbag. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Norfolk, Pam (26 May 2010). "Book review: The Reluctant Bride by Lucy Mangan". Lancashire Evening Post. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Hill, Emily (August 2007). "Review of Books Handbags at Dawn". Spiked. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Stevens, Wendy (15 August 2015). "Inside Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". San Diego Book Review. Archived from the original on 8 May 2016. Retrieved 20 April 2016.