This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
"Luck Be a Lady" is a song written and composed by Frank Loesser in 1950 and first performed by Robert Alda. The song was featured in the musical Guys and Dolls. The lyrics relate the point of view of a gambler, Sky Masterson, who hopes that he will win a bet, the outcome of which will decide whether or not he is able to save his relationship with the girl of his dreams.
Notable uses and recordings
- Marlon Brando sang the song in the Guys and Dolls (1955) film adaptation. In 2004, that version finished at #42 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.
- Later, it became a signature song for Frank Sinatra (who also starred in Guys and Dolls 1955 film adaptation), first released on the compilation Reprise Musical Repertory Theatre (1963) and re-released on the album Sinatra '65: The Singer Today (1965).
- The Cherry Poppin' Daddies recorded a version on their Rat Pack tribute Please Return the Evening (2014).
In popular culture
- In December 2011, Cîroc began airing an advertising campaign featuring Sean Combs and others in scenes reminiscent of the original Rat Pack, with a recording of Frank Sinatra singing "Luck Be a Lady" playing throughout the commercial as mood music.
- Frank Sinatra's version features prominently in the film Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), when Robin Williams' character, Daniel Hillard, is given a makeover to "become" a woman.
- The song was used in the original sound track from The Cooler (2003), a movie which deals with casino life (and death) in Las Vegas.
- Frank Sinatra's version is used in the beginning of the romantic comedy film Think Like a Man Too (2014).
- An instrumental version of the song plays on a continuous loop in some MyVegas casino games.
- The electronica group Fila Brazillia references the song in the title of their album Luck Be a Weirdo Tonight (1997).
- One line is sung by the Doctor in the Doctor Who episode, "Rose" (26 March 2005).
- Full House season 2, episodes 43 and 44, titled "Luck Be a Lady" (Parts 1 and 2), aired April 28, 1989 and May 5, 1989, respectively.
- A cover of the song features in Lucifer, sung by the titular character.[when?]
- "Luck Be a Lady" (October 24, 2017) is the title of season 4, episode 72 of The Flash.
- Brian Setzer performed the song on The L Word's soundtrack in season 4, episode 6: "Luck Be a Lady" (February 11, 2007).
- The song is parodied in The Simpsons episode "Mayored to the Mob" (December 20, 1998), as "Luke be a Jedi".
- "Jack Jones - Bewitched". discogs.com. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Diddy's Luck Be A Lady Cîroc Commercial (extended version) [Video]". soulculture.co.uk. 21 December 2011.
- "MyVegas: About". Facebook.