This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Portrait of Louis II
|Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine|
|Reign||6 April 1830 – 5 March 1848|
|Born||26 December 1777|
|Died||16 June 1848 (aged 70)|
Darmstadt, Grand Duchy of Hesse
(m. 1804; died 1836)
|Issue||Louis III, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine|
Prince Karl of Hesse and by Rhine
Princess Elizabeth of Hesse and by Rhine
Prince Alexander of Hesse and by Rhine
Marie, Empress of Russia
|Father||Louis I, Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine|
|Mother||Princess Louise of Hesse-Darmstadt|
Louis II (26 December 1777 – 16 June 1848) was Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine from 6 April 1830 until 5 March 1848, resigning during the German Revolution of 1848. He was the son of Louis I, Grand Duke of Hesse, and Princess Louise of Hesse-Darmstadt.
Marriage and issue
Due to Louis's affairs, the union proved an unhappy one, and the couple separated after the birth of their third child. Through Wilhelmine, Louis had four surviving children:
- Prince Ludwig of Hesse-Darmstadt (9 June 1806 – 13 June 1877); (the future Grand Duke).
- Stillborn son (18 August 1807).
- Prince Karl Wilhelm Ludwig of Hesse-Darmstadt (23 April 1809 – 20 March 1877).
- Princess Amalia Elisabeth Luise Karoline Friederike Wilhelmine of Hesse-Darmstadt (20 May 1821 – 27 May 1826).
- Stillborn daughter (7 June 1822).
- Prince Alexander Ludwig Georg Friedrich Emil of Hesse-Darmstadt (15 July 1823 – 15 December 1888)
- Princess Maximiliane Wilhelmine Auguste Sophie Marie of Hesse-Darmstadt (8 August 1824 – 3 June 1880); the future Empress consort of Alexander II of Russia.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis II, Grand Duke of Hesse.|
Louis II, Grand Duke of Hesse
Cadet branch of the House of HesseBorn: 26 December 1777 Died: 16 June 1848
| Grand Duke of Hesse and by Rhine
|This article about a member of the German nobility is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|