Loree Rodkin (born February 25, 1949) is an American jewelry designer based in Los Angeles, California. She designed the jewelry worn by Michelle Obama to the inaugural ball in January 2009, now deposited in the permanent collection of the Smithsonian Institution.
Rodkin was raised in Chicago, Illinois. She moved to Los Angeles where she designed homes for Alice Cooper, Rod Stewart and her then fiance, Bernie Taupin. Her next career was as a talent manager. She managed the careers of Brad Pitt, Robert Downey Jr. and Alexander Godunov, among others.
Rodkin went on to launch her jewelry brand. Her most famous piece is a bondage ring. These are rings reminiscent of medieval finger armor, which cover the entire finger. Her first sales were to Tommy Perse, then owner of the Maxfield boutique in West Hollywood. Elizabeth Taylor and Barbra Streisand were among her earliest clients.
Her designs were further popularized by First Lady Michelle Obama, who wore Rodkin's 61-carat diamond celestial earrings, a 13-carat diamond cocktail ring and diamond bangles, to the 2009 inaugural balls. The jewelry now hangs in the permanent collection at the National Museum of American History of the Smithsonian Institution.
Rodkin's flagship store is in Tokyo, Japan. Her designs are also sold in retail specialty stores globally. Her clientele has included Elton John, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, Madonna, Daphne Guinness, Mary J. Blige, Cher, Rihanna and Steven Tyler. Rodkin's collection includes a bath and body product line, eyewear, fragrances and candles.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Loree Rodkin.|
- Moore, Booth (30 August 2009). "Jewelry designer Loree Rodkin's rock 'n' roll roots". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Sanders, Liz Dennery (24 April 2013). "SheBrand SuperStar: Loree Rodkin". Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Denardo, Maria (22 March 2012). "The Designer Files: The Secret Life of Loree Rodkin".
- "Exclusive interview with Loree Rodkin". Image Noire. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Brajovic, Sara (17 August 2011). "Interview from Los Angeles... Loree Rodkin". Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- "Chit Chat with Loree Rodkin". 20 November 2012. Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Nelson, Karin (March 2011). "Diamond Life". Retrieved 13 December 2013.
- Py-Lieberman, Beth (9 March 2010). "Meet Mrs. Obama's Inaugural Jewelry Designer Loree Rodkin".