|Garage||Ash Grove (HK)|
|Vehicle||Alexander Dennis Enviro400H City|
|Night-time||Night Bus N26|
On 18 July 1992, route 26 was introduced to replace the withdrawn section of route 6 between Hackney Wick and Aldwych, running between Hackney Wick and Waterloo station, from Bow garage using Leyland Titans.
On 22 June 2013, route 26 was included in the sale of First London's Lea Interchange garage to Tower Transit. When next tendered, it was awarded to CT Plus with the new contract commencing on 27 February 2016. Is is operated out of Ash Grove garage.
On 21 July 2005, would-be bomber Muktar Said Ibrahim attempted to explode a device contained in his rucksack on a number 26 bus on Hackney Road in Bethnal Green near Shoreditch. A small explosion on the top deck caused the vehicle's windows to explode, but the device did not detonate as intended and there was no significant damage. The vehicle, operated by Stagecoach London, was stopped and a 200-yard safety cordon established while the bomb was defused.
Ibrahim left the bus following the failed attack, but was later caught. He and five other men were taken to court in January 2007, and his DNA was found on a battery used in the bomb. He was convicted in July 2007 and sentenced to life imprisonment.
Route 26 operates via these primary locations:
- Hackney Wick St Mary of Eton Church
- South Hackney
- Cambridge Heath station
- Bethnal Green Warner Place
- Hoxton station
- Shoreditch High Street station
- Liverpool Street station
- Bank station
- Mansion House station
- St Paul's Churchyard
- Waterloo Bridge
- South Bank
- Waterloo station
- Blacker, Ken (2007). Routemaster: 1970–2005. 2 (2nd ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. p. 118. ISBN 978-1-85414-303-7.
- Bus tender results Route 26/N26 Transport for London 22 May 2010
- First quits London bus business Archived 7 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine Bus & Coach Professional 9 April 2013
- Date set for Aussie takeover of London bus routes Australasian Bus & Coach 14 June 2013
- Bus tender results Route 26/N26 Transport for London 7 October 2015
- Tender News Bus Talk issue 37 December 2015 page 11
- HCT orders 38 ADL buses RouteOne 24 May 2016
- HCT Group starts latest London bus route HCT Group 2 March 2016
- Our routes CT Group
- 'Smell of smoke' at number 26 bus Daily Mail 21 July 2005
- Windows Blown Out Of Number 26 Bus Sky News 21 July 2005
- Bus bomb bid' CCTV shown to jury BBC News 29 January 2007
- Four 21/7 bomb plotters get life BBC News 11 July 2007
- Route 26 Map Transport for London