This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following list of text-based games is not to be considered an authoritative, comprehensive listing of all such games; rather, it is intended to represent a wide range of game styles and genres presented using the text mode display and their evolution across a long period.
On mainframe computers
Years listed are those in which early mainframe games and others are believed to have originally appeared. Often these games were continually modified and played as a succession of versions for years after their initial posting. (For purposes of this list, minicomputers are considered mainframes, in contrast to microcomputers, which are not.)
On personal computers
Commercial text adventure games
These are commercial interactive fiction games played offline.
|Wizard's Castle||1978||Joseph R. Power|
|Aliens||1982||Yahoo Software||Space Invaders clone for Kaypro.|
|CatChum||1982||Yahoo Software||Pac-Man clone for Kaypro.|
|Ladder||1982||Yahoo Software||Donkey Kong clone for Kaypro.|
|Sleuth||1983||Eric N. Miller|
|Beast||1984||Dan Baker, Alan Brown, Mark Hamilton and Derrick Shadel|
|Kingdom of Kroz||1987||Scott Miller of Apogee Software|
|Mtrek||1987||Chuck Peterson of UCSC|
|ZZT||1991||Tim Sweeney of Epic MegaGames|
|MegaZeux||1994||Alexis Janson of Software Visions||Supports editing the character set to allow for more advanced graphical capabilities than most text mode games.|
|Chibot Ultra Battle||1999|
|PAEE||1999||Enrique D. Bosch|
|For a Change||1999||Dan Schmidt|
These are play-by-email games played online.
|Lords of the Earth||1983|
BBS door games
These are BBS door games played online.
|TradeWars 2002||1987||Gary Martin for Martech Software|
|Legend of the Red Dragon||1989||Seth Able Robinson|
- Kemeny, John G.; Kurtz, Thomas E. (11 October 1968). "Dartmouth Time-Sharing". Science. 162: 223–228. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016.
- Michael R. Wilk (1 January 1987). "Enchanted Castle" – via Internet Archive.
- Lives, Avalon, The Legend. "Online RPG Game - Avalon - Text Based Games". Archived from the original on 2015-12-05.
- "Richard A. Bartle: Reviews - UK". Archived from the original on 2015-12-28.
- "Designing Virtual Worlds". Archived from the original on 2015-11-18.
- "The Yawhg". Archived from the original on 2014-06-01.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-05-24. Retrieved 2017-05-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)