This article contains a list of freedom indices produced by several non-governmental organizations that publish and maintain assessments of the state of freedom in the world, according to their own various definitions of the term, and rank countries as being free, partly free, or using various measures of freedom, including civil liberties, political rights and economic rights.
The indices and their origins.
- The Economic Freedom of the World Index is a report published by Canada-based Fraser Institute in conjunction with the Economic Freedom Network, a group of independent research and educational institutes in 90 nations and territories worldwide. It is a numeric index, and its results are not currently included in the table below.
- Canada, United States, Germany
- The Human Freedom Index presents the state of human freedom in the world based on a broad measure that encompasses personal, civil, and economic freedom. The index presents a broad measure of human freedom, understood as the absence of coercive constraint. It uses 79 distinct indicators of personal and economic freedom. The index covers the following areas: Rule of Law, Security and Safety, Movement, Religion, Association, Assembly, Civil Society, Expression, Relationships, Size of Government, Legal System and Property Rights, Access to Sound Money, Freedom to Trade Internationally, and Regulation of Credit, Labor, and Business. The Human Freedom Index was created in 2015, covering 152 countries for years 2008–2012. The Human Freedom Index 2016 was published in November 2016, covering 159 countries for years 2008–2015. The report is co-published by the Cato Institute, the Fraser Institute, and the Liberales Institut at the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom. Co-authors of the report are Ian Vásquez and Tanja Porčnik.
- The Index of Freedom in the World was a predecessor to the Human Freedom Index. It measured classical civil liberties and was published in 2013 by Canada's Fraser Institute, Germany's Liberales Institute, and the U.S. Cato Institute. It is not currently included in the table below.
- Worldwide Press Freedom Index, is published each year since 2002 (except that 2011 was combined with 2012) by France-based Reporters Without Borders. Countries are assessed as having a good situation, a satisfactory situation, noticeable problems, a difficult situation, or a very serious situation.
- The World Index of Moral Freedom was first published on April 2, 2016, by the Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty, based in Madrid, Spain. This index ranks 160 countries by five categories of indicators: religious freedom, bioethical freedom, drugs freedom, sexuality freedom and family and gender freedom. The index aims at establishing the degree of individual freedom or state control on decisions pertaining to the great moral debates of our time.
- MaxRange, developed by Max Rånge, and maintained by Mikael Sandberg and Max Rånge, political scientists at Halmstad University, Sweden, is a data set defining a country's level of democracy and institutional structure (regime-type) on a 1000-point graded scale. Values are sorted based on level of democracy and political accountability. MaxRange defines the value corresponding to all states every month from 1789 to the present.
- Varieties of Democracy (V-Dem) Institute, the V-Dem Institute, the Department of Political Science at the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, is an approach to conceptualizing and measuring democracy. They provide a multidimensional and disaggregated dataset that reflects the complexity of the concept of democracy as a system of rule that goes beyond the simple presence of elections. The V-Dem project distinguishes between five high-level principles of democracy: electoral, liberal, participatory, deliberative, and egalitarian, and collects data to measure these principles. With six Principal Investigators (PIs), seventeen Project Managers (PMs) with special responsibility for issue areas, more than thirty Regional Managers (RMs), 170 Country Coordinators (CCs), Research Assistants, and 3,000 Country Experts (CEs), the V-Dem project is one of the largest social science data collection projects focusing on research.
- The Democracy Index, published by the U.K.-based Economist Intelligence Unit, is an assessment of countries' democracy. Countries are rated to be either Full Democracies, Flawed Democracies, Hybrid Regimes, or Authoritarian regimes. Full democracies, flawed democracies, and hybrid regimes are considered to be democracies, and the authoritarian nations are considered to be dictatorial. The index is based on 60 indicators grouped in five different categories measuring pluralism, civil liberties, and political culture.
- The CIRI Human Rights Data Project measures a range of human, civil, women's, and workers' rights. It was created in 1994 and is now hosted by the University of Connecticut. In its 2011 report, the U.S. was ranked 38th in overall human rights.
- Freedom in the World, published each year since 1972 by the U.S.-based Freedom House, ranks countries by political rights and civil liberties that are derived in large measure from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Countries are assessed as free, partly free, or unfree.
- Freedom of the Press is a report published each year since 1980 by Freedom House.
- The Index of Economic Freedom is an annual report published by The Wall Street Journal and the U.S.-based Heritage Foundation. Countries are assessed as free, mostly free, moderately free, mostly unfree, and repressed.
- The U.S.-based Polity data series is a widely used data series in political science research. It contains coded annual information on regime authority characteristics and transitions for all independent states with total populations greater than 500,000 and covers the years 1800–2018. Polity's conclusions about a state's level of democracy are based on an evaluation of that state's elections for competitiveness, openness, and level of participation. Data from this series is not currently included in the table below. The Polity work is sponsored by the Political Instability Task Force (PITF) which is funded by the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency; however, the views expressed in the reports are the authors' alone and do not represent the views of the U.S. Government.
Here is a table of the assessments by four indices, for most countries of the world. For exact rankings rather than assessments, refer to the individual index articles.
The global situation of press freedom in 2020 according to Reporters Without Borders
The Democracy Index map in 2017 according to The Economist Intelligence Unit
|Freedom in the World||free||partly free||not free|
|Index of Economic Freedom||free||mostly free||moderately free||mostly unfree||repressed|
|Press Freedom Index||good situation||satisfactory situation||noticeable problems||difficult situation||very serious situation|
|Democracy Index ||full democracy||flawed democracy||hybrid regime||authoritarian regime||authoritarian regime|
List by countryEdit
|Country||Freedom in the World 2020||2020 Index of Economic Freedom||2020 Press Freedom Index||2019 Democracy Index|
|Afghanistan||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Albania||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Algeria||not free||repressed||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Angola||not free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Antigua and Barbuda||free||n/a||satisfactory situation||n/a|
|Argentina||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Armenia||partly free||mostly free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Australia||free||free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Austria||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Azerbaijan||not free||moderately free||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Bahrain||not free||moderately free||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Bangladesh||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Belarus||not free||moderately free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Belgium||free||moderately free||good situation||flawed democracy|
|Belize||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||n/a|
|Benin||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Bhutan||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Bolivia||partly free||repressed||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Botswana||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Brazil||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Brunei||not free||moderately free||difficult situation||n/a|
|Bulgaria||free||mostly free||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Burkina Faso||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation||hybrid regime|
|Burma||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Burundi||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Cambodia||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Cameroon||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Canada||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Cape Verde||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Central African Republic||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Chad||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Chile||free||mostly free||noticeable problems||full democracy|
|China||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Colombia||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Comoros||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Costa Rica||free||moderately free||good situation||full democracy|
|Congo, Democratic Republic of the||not free||repressed||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Congo, Republic of the||not free||repressed||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Croatia||free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Cuba||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Cyprus||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Czech Republic||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Denmark||free||mostly free||good situation||full democracy|
|Djibouti||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Dominica||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||n/a|
|Dominican Republic||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|East Timor||free||repressed||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Ecuador||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Egypt||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|El Salvador||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Equatorial Guinea||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Eritrea||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Estonia||free||mostly free||good situation||flawed democracy|
|Eswatini||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Ethiopia||not free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Fiji||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Finland||free||mostly free||good situation||full democracy|
|France||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Gabon||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Gambia||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Georgia||partly free||mostly free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Germany||free||mostly free||good situation||full democracy|
|Ghana||free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Greece||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Guatemala||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Guinea||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Guinea-Bissau||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Guyana||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Haiti||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Honduras||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Hong Kong||partly free||free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Hungary||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Iceland||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|India||free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Indonesia||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Iran||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Iraq||not free||n/a||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Ireland||free||free||good situation||full democracy|
|Israel||free||mostly free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Italy||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Ivory Coast||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Jamaica||free||moderately free||good situation||flawed democracy|
|Japan||free||mostly free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Jordan||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Kazakhstan||not free||moderately free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Kenya||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Korea, North||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Korea, South||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Kosovo||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||n/a|
|Kuwait||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Kyrgyzstan||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Laos||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Latvia||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Lebanon||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Lesotho||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Liberia||partly free||repressed||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Libya||not free||n/a||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Lithuania||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Luxembourg||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Madagascar||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Malawi||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Malaysia||partly free||mostly free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Maldives||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||n/a|
|Mali||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Malta||free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Mauritania||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Mauritius||free||mostly free||noticeable problems||full democracy|
|Mexico||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Micronesia, Federated States of||free||mostly unfree||n/a||n/a|
|Moldova||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Mongolia||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Montenegro||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Morocco||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Mozambique||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Namibia||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Nepal||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Netherlands||free||mostly free||good situation||full democracy|
|New Zealand||free||free||good situation||full democracy|
|Nicaragua||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Niger||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Nigeria||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|North Macedonia||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Norway||free||mostly free||good situation||full democracy|
|Oman||not free||moderately free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Pakistan||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Palestine||not free||n/a||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Panama||free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Papua New Guinea||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Paraguay||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Peru||free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Philippines||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Poland||free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Portugal||free||moderately free||good situation||full democracy|
|Qatar||not free||mostly free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Romania||free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Russia||not free||moderately free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Rwanda||not free||mostly free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Saint Kitts and Nevis||free||n/a||satisfactory situation||n/a|
|Saint Lucia||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||n/a|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||n/a|
|Samoa||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||n/a|
|São Tomé and Príncipe||free||mostly unfree||n/a||n/a|
|Saudi Arabia||not free||moderately free||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Senegal||partly free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation||hybrid regime|
|Serbia||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Seychelles||partly free||moderately free||noticeable problems||n/a|
|Sierra Leone||partly free||repressed||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|Singapore||partly free||free||very serious situation||flawed democracy|
|Slovakia||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Slovenia||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Solomon Islands||free||mostly unfree||n/a||n/a|
|Somalia||not free||n/a||very serious situation||n/a|
|South Africa||free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|South Sudan||not free||n/a||difficult situation||n/a|
|Spain||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Sri Lanka||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Sudan||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Suriname||free||repressed||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Sweden||free||mostly free||good situation||full democracy|
|Switzerland||free||free||good situation||full democracy|
|Syria||not free||n/a||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Taiwan||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Tajikistan||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Tanzania||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Thailand||partly free||moderately free||difficult situation||flawed democracy|
|Togo||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||authoritarian regime|
|Tonga||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||n/a|
|Trinidad and Tobago||free||mostly unfree||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Tunisia||free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||flawed democracy|
|Turkey||not free||moderately free||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Turkmenistan||not free||repressed||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Uganda||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Ukraine||partly free||mostly unfree||noticeable problems||hybrid regime|
|United Arab Emirates||not free||mostly free||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|United Kingdom||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|United States||free||mostly free||satisfactory situation||flawed democracy|
|Uruguay||free||moderately free||satisfactory situation||full democracy|
|Uzbekistan||not free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Venezuela||not free||repressed||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Vietnam||not free||mostly unfree||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Yemen||not free||n/a||very serious situation||authoritarian regime|
|Zambia||partly free||mostly unfree||difficult situation||hybrid regime|
|Zimbabwe||partly free||repressed||difficult situation||authoritarian regime|
|Country||Freedom in the World 2020||2020 Index of Economic Freedom||2020 Press Freedom Index||2019 Democracy Index|
|Gaza Strip||not free||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Azad Kashmir||not free||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Northern Cyprus||free||n/a||noticeable problems||n/a|
|South Ossetia||not free||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|West Bank||not free||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Western Sahara||not free||n/a||n/a||n/a|
- Democracy-Dictatorship Index
- Areopagitica: A speech of Mr John Milton for the liberty of unlicensed printing to the Parliament of England
- Censorship by country
- Corruption Perceptions Index
- Ease of doing business index
- Freedom House
- Freedom in the World
- Indices of economic freedom
- Internet censorship and surveillance by country
- Media transparency
- Transparency (behavior)
- Transparency (market)
- United Nations Parliamentary Assembly
- World Index of Moral Freedom
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Human Freedom Index". www.cato.org/human-freedom-index. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Craggs, Ryan (January 14, 2013). "World Freedom Index 2013: Canadian Fraser Institute Ranks Countries". Huffington Post.
- "Press Freedom Index 2020", Reporters Without Borders, April 2020.
- World Index of Moral Freedom 2016, published by the Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty
- "MaxRange: Analyzing political regimes and democratization processes". Sweden: School of Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Halmstad University. April 30, 2015. Archived from the original on August 17, 2018. Retrieved May 2, 2015.
- "Democracy index 2012: Democracy at a standstill". Economist Intelligence Unit. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "CIRI Human Rights Data Project". humanrightsdat.com. Retrieved October 25, 2013.
- Michael Kirk (December 10, 2010). "Annual International Human Rights Ratings Announced". University of Connecticut.
- "Human Rights in 2011: The CIRI Report". CIRI Human Rights Data Project. August 29, 2013.
- , Freedom House, January 2020. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Heritage Foundation (2020). "Country Rankings". 2020 Index of Economic Freedom.
- "Polity IV Project". Table footnote. Retrieved 11 Jan 2020.
- Freedom House (January 28, 2016). Freedom in the World 2016 (PDF).
- , Economist, January 2020. Retrieved 21 April 2020.
- Economic Freedom of the World. The Fraser Institute. Archived from the original on 2006-09-04.
- Freedom in the World. Freedom House.
- Index of Economic Freedom. The Wall Street Journal. Archived from the original on 2008-02-01.
- World Index of Moral Freedom. Foundation for the Advancement of Liberty.
- "Democracy continues its disturbing retreat". The Economist.