This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This list of general science and technology awards is an index to articles about notable awards for general contributions to science and technology. These awards typically have broad scope, and may apply to many or all areas of science and/or technology. The list is organized by region and country of the sponsoring organization, but awards are not necessarily limited to people from that country.
|International||Albert Einstein World Award of Science||World Cultural Council||Recognition and encouragement for scientific and technological research and development|
|International||Kalinga Prize||UNESCO||Exceptional skill in presenting scientific ideas to lay people|
|International||L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards||L'Oréal and UNESCO||Outstanding women researchers who have contributed to scientific progress|
|International||Mustafa Prize||Mustafa Science and Technology Foundation||Top scientists and innovative engineers from Organisation of Islamic Cooperation member states|
|Nigeria||Nigeria Prize for Science||Nigeria LNG, Nigerian Academy of Science and the Nigerian Academy of Letters||Excellence in science breakthroughs.|
|South Africa||Harry Oppenheimer Fellowship Award||Oppenheim Memorial Trust||Leading scholars who have a sustained record of outstanding research and intellectual achievement at the highest level|
|Canada||Henry Marshall Tory Medal||Royal Society of Canada||Outstanding research in a branch of astronomy, chemistry, mathematics, physics, or an allied science|
|Canada||Prix Lionel-Boulet||Government of Quebec||Researchers who have distinguished themselves through their inventions, their scientific and technological innovations, their leadership in scientific development, and their contribution to Québec's economic growth|
|Canada||Prix Marie-Victorin||Government of Quebec||Researchers in the pure and applied sciences whose work lies in fields outside biomedicine. These fields include the natural and physical sciences, engineering, and technology, and the agricultural sciences|
|Canada||Sandford Fleming Award||Royal Canadian Institute||Outstanding contributions to the public understanding of science|
|Canada||Sir John William Dawson Medal||Royal Society of Canada||Important and sustained contributions by one individual in at least two different domains|
|United States||Arthur B. Guise Medal||Society of Fire Protection Engineers||Eminent achievement in the advancement of the science and technology of fire protection engineering|
|United States||Barnard Medal for Meritorious Service to Science||Columbia University and National Academy of Sciences||Meritorious service to science|
|United States||Benjamin Franklin Medals||Franklin Institute||Medals for Chemistry, Computer and Cognitive Science, Earth and Environmental Science, Electrical Engineering, Life Science, Mechanical Engineering, and Physics|
|United States||Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists||Blavatnik Family Foundation and New York Academy of Sciences||Faculty and postdoctoral researchers age 42 years and younger who work in the life and physical sciences and engineering at institutions in the New York tri-state area|
|United States||Common Wealth Award of Distinguished Service||PNC Financial Services||Outstanding achievement in dramatic arts, literature, science, invention, mass communications, public service, government and sociology|
|United States||George Sarton Medal||History of Science Society||Historian of science from the international community|
|United States||Global Security Challenge||London Business School, InnoCentive||Competition to find and select the most promising security technology startups in the world|
|United States||Harold Brown Award||United States Air Force||Scientist or engineer who applies scientific research to solve a problem critical to the needs of the Air Force|
|United States||Howard N. Potts Medal||Franklin Institute||Science and engineering award (no longer awarded)|
|United States||John J. Carty Award for the Advancement of Science||National Academy of Sciences||Noteworthy and distinguished accomplishments in any field of science within the charter of the Academy|
|United States||Leidy Award||Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University||Excellence in publications, explorations, discoveries or research in the natural sciences|
|United States||Magellanic Premium||American Philosophical Society||Major contributions in the field of navigation (whether by sea, air, or in space), astronomy, or natural philosophy|
|United States||Margaret W. Rossiter History of Women in Science Prize||History of Science Society||Outstanding book or article on the history of women in science|
|United States||NAS Award for Scientific Reviewing||National Academy of Sciences||Authors whose reviews have synthesized extensive and difficult material, rendering a significant service to science and influencing the course of scientific thought|
|United States||NAS Award for the Industrial Application of Science||National Academy of Sciences||Original scientific work of intrinsic scientific importance and with significant, beneficial applications in industry|
|United States||National Medal of Science||President of the United States on recommendation of the National Science Foundation||Individuals in science and engineering who have made important contributions to the advancement of knowledge in the fields of behavioral and social sciences, biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics and physics|
|United States||National Medal of Technology and Innovation||President of the United States||American inventors and innovators who have made significant contributions to the development of new and important technology|
|United States||Nierenberg Prize||Scripps Institution of Oceanography||Outstanding contributions to science in the public interest|
|United States||Percy L. Julian Award||National Organization for the Professional Advancement of Black Chemists and Chemical Engineers||Black scientists who have made significant contributions to the areas of pure or applied research in science or engineering|
|United States||Phi Beta Kappa Award in Science||Phi Beta Kappa||Significant books in the fields of science and mathematics|
|United States||Research Parasite Award||Pacific Symposium on Biocomputing||Scientists who study previously-published data in ways not anticipated by the researchers who first generated it|
|United States||Vannevar Bush Award||National Science Foundation||Individual who, through public service activities in science and technology, has made an outstanding contribution toward the welfare of mankind and the Nation|
|China||Highest Science and Technology Award||President of the People's Republic of China||Highest scientific award to scientists working in China|
|China||State Science and Technology Prizes||President of the People's Republic of China and Premier of the People's Republic of China||Remarkable contributions to scientific and technological progress, and to promote the development of science and technology|
|Hong Kong||Shaw Prize||Shaw Prize Foundation||Outstanding contributions in academic and scientific research or applications|
|India||G. D. Birla Award for Scientific Research||K. K. Birla Foundation||Outstanding scientific research by an Indian scientist under 50 in India|
|India||H K Firodia awards||H K Firodia Foundation||Achievements by Indian scientists in any field of science|
|India||India Science Award||Government of India||Outstanding contribution to science|
|India||Om Prakash Bhasin Award||Shri Om Prakash Bhasin Foundation||Excellence in the areas of science and technology|
|India||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology||Council of Scientific and Industrial Research||Notable and outstanding research, applied or fundamental, in biology, chemistry, environmental science, engineering, mathematics, medicine and Physics|
|India||Vigyan Gaurav Award||Council of Science and Technology, Government of Uttar Pradesh||Lifetime achievement award for scientific research|
|Israel||Dan David Prize||Dan David Foundation and Tel Aviv University||Outstanding contribution in the fields of science, technology, culture or social welfare|
|Israel||Harvey Prize||Technion – Israel Institute of Technology||Breakthroughs in science and technology|
|Israel||Wolf Prize||Wolf Foundation||Living scientists and artists for achievements in the interest of mankind and friendly relations among people|
|Japan||Japan Prize||Japan Prize Foundation||Original and outstanding achievements in science and technology recognized as having advanced the frontiers of knowledge and served the cause of peace and prosperity for mankind|
|Japan||Kyoto Prize||Inamori Foundation||Lifetime achievement in the arts and sciences|
|Japan||Saruhashi Prize||Association for the Bright Future of Women Scientists||Japanese woman researcher in the natural sciences|
|Saudi Arabia||King Faisal International Prize||King Faisal Foundation||Dedicated men and women whose contributions make a positive difference (for science)|
|South Korea||Ho-Am Prize in Science||Samsung||Individuals of Korean heritage who have furthered the welfare of humanity through distinguished accomplishments in the field of Science|
|Vietnam||Hồ Chí Minh Prize||Government of Vietnam||Cultural and/or scientific achievement|
|Albania||Governor's Award (Albania)||Bank of Albania||Undergraduate dissertation of high scientific standards concerning crucial issues related to the Bank of Albania and issues related to the macroeconomic and financial frames of the state|
|Austria||Wilhelm Exner Medal||Österreichischer Gewerbeverein||Scientists and researchers who have had a direct impact on business and industry through their scientific achievements and contributions|
|Belgium||Francqui Prize||Francqui Foundation||Achievements of a scholar or scientist, under 50, in exact sciences, social sciences or humanities, or biological or medical sciences.|
|Europe||European Inventor Award||European Patent Office||Inventors who have made a significant contribution to innovation, economy and society in Europe|
|France||Grande Médaille||French Academy of Sciences||Researcher who has contributed decisively to the development of science|
|Germany||Dannie-Heineman Prize||Göttingen Academy of Sciences and Humanities||Excellent recently published publications in a new research field, for younger researchers in natural sciences or mathematics|
|Germany||Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize||Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation)||Exceptional scientists and academics for their outstanding achievements in the field of research|
|Germany||Humboldt Prize||Alexander von Humboldt Foundation||Internationally renowned scientists and scholars who work outside of Germany|
|Germany||Otto Hahn Medal||Max Planck Society||Young scientists and researchers in both the natural and social sciences|
|Germany||Werner von Siemens Ring||Werner von Siemens Ring Foundation||People who have promoted the technical sciences through their achievements or, as representatives of science, have opened up new paths through their research into technology|
|Netherlands||Spinoza Prize||The Dutch Research Council (NWO)||Annually to three or four researchers working in the Netherlands who according to international standards belong to the absolute top of science|
|Netherlands||Stevin Prize||The Dutch Research Council (NWO)||Annually to researchers or a team of two to three researchers who have achieved an exceptional success in the area of knowledge exchange and impact for society|
|Norway||Gunnerus Sustainability Award||Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters||Outstanding contribution to sustainable science within the fields of natural sciences, social sciences, humanities, or technological sciences, either through interdisciplinary work or through work within one of these fields|
|Norway||Kavli Prize||Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, Ministry of Education and Research (Norway), and Kavli Foundation||Outstanding scientific work in the fields of astrophysics, nanoscience and neuroscience|
|Poland||Prize of the Foundation for Polish Science||Foundation for Polish Science||Renowned scientists for significant advancements and scientific discoveries which shift cognitive boundaries and open new perspectives for research ...|
|Poland, Germany||Copernicus Award||Foundation for Polish Science and Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft||Individuals most active in Polish-German scientific cooperation who have made exceptional research achievements as a result of that cooperation|
|Portugal||Pessoa Prize||Expresso||Portuguese person who has distinguished him or herself as a figure in scientific, artistic, or literary life|
|Russia||Demidov Prize||Russian Academy of Sciences||Outstanding achievements in natural sciences and humanities|
|Russia||Lomonosov Gold Medal||Russian Academy of Sciences||Outstanding achievements in the natural sciences and the humanities|
|Soviet Union||Lenin Prize||Government of the Soviet Union||accomplishments relating to science, literature, arts, architecture, and technology. No longer awarded.|
|Spain||Princess of Asturias Awards||Felipe VI of Spain||Research in the field of mathematics, astronomy and astrophysics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, medical sciences, earth and space sciences or technological sciences|
|Sweden||Crafoord Prize||Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences||Prize for astronomy and mathematics; geosciences; biosciences, with particular emphasis on ecology and polyarthritis|
|Switzerland||Balzan Prize||International Balzan Prize Foundation||Outstanding achievements in the fields of humanities, natural sciences, culture, as well as for endeavours for peace and the brotherhood of man|
|Switzerland||Marcel Benoist Prize||Marcel Benoist Foundation||Scientist of Swiss nationality or residency who has made the most useful scientific discovery|
|United Kingdom||Cherry Kearton Medal and Award||Royal Geographical Society||Traveller concerned with the study or practice of natural history, with a preference for those with an interest in nature photography, art or cinematography|
|United Kingdom||Gunning Victoria Jubilee Prize||Royal Society of Edinburgh||Original work by scientists resident in or connected with Scotland|
|United Kingdom||Makdougall Brisbane Prize||Royal Society of Edinburgh||Particular distinction in the promotion of scientific research, awarded sequentially to research workers in the Physical Sciences, Engineering Sciences and Biological Sciences.|
|United Kingdom||Progress Medal (RPS)||Royal Photographic Society||Important advance in the scientific or technological development of photography or imaging in the widest sense|
|United Kingdom||Royal Medal (Royal Society of Edinburgh)||Royal Society of Edinburgh||People with a Scottish connection, who have achieved distinction and international repute in either Life Sciences, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences or Business and Commerce|
|United Kingdom||W. S. Bruce Medal||Royal Geographical Society||Notable contributions to Zoology, Botany, Geology, Meteorology, Oceanography or Geography, where new knowledge has been gained through a personal visit to polar regions|
|Australia||David Syme Research Prize||University of Melbourne||Best original research work in biology, physics, chemistry or geology in Australia|
|Australia||Edgeworth David Medal||Royal Society of New South Wales||Distinguished contributions by a young scientist under the age of 35 years for work done predominantly in Australia or which contributed to the advancement of Australian science|
|Australia||James Cook Medal||Royal Society of New South Wales||Outstanding contributions to science and human welfare in and for the Southern Hemisphere|
|Australia||Matthew Flinders Medal and Lecture||Australian Academy of Science||Exceptional research by Australian scientists in the physical sciences|
|Australia||Prime Minister's Prizes for Science||Prime Minister of Australia||Outstanding achievements in scientific research, innovation, and teaching|
|Australia||RSV Medal for Excellence in Scientific Research||Royal Society of Victoria||Peak career achievements by scientists|
|Australia||RSV Young Scientist Research Prizes||Royal Society of Victoria||Early career researchers in science|
|Australia||SA Scientist of the Year||South Australia government||Eminence in science|
|Australia, New Zealand||ANZAAS Medal||Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science||Advancement of science, or administration and organisation of scientific activities, or teaching of science|
|Australia, New Zealand||Mueller Medal||Australian and New Zealand Association for the Advancement of Science||Important contributions to anthropological, botanical, geological or zoological science, preferably with special reference to Australia|
|New Zealand||Rutherford Medal||Royal Society Te Apārangi||Exceptional contributions to the advancement and promotion of public awareness, knowledge and understanding ... in any field of science, mathematics, social science, or technology|
- "Albert Einstein World Award of Science". consejoculturalmundial.org. World Cultural Council. July 27, 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "Kalinga Foundation Trust". kalingafoundationtrust.com. Retrieved August 28, 2010.
- Kevin Friedl, "For Women in Science Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine", Seed Magazine, March 8, 2006
- "Five outstanding women scientists receive L'Oréal-UNESCO Awards for Women in Science 2007". UNESCOPRESS. 2007-03-02. Archived from the original on 2015-04-12. Retrieved 2015-11-15.
- "L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science". YouTube. 2013-04-03. Retrieved 2013-05-13.
- "Al-Mustafa Award from the University of Tehran in 2015". Cu.edu.eg. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "APA - Iran establishes "Mustafa" Award alternative to Nobel Prize". En.apa.az. 2014-01-09. Archived from the original on 2014-08-03. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- "The Mustafa Prize". Waitro.org. 2014-09-12. Retrieved 2016-08-07.
- The Nigeria Prize, official website.
- "Harry Oppenheimer Fellowship Awards, 2016" (PDF). South African Journal of Science Volume 112 No. 7/8. Retrieved 5 May 2017.
- "Henry Marshall Tory Medal". The Royal Society of Canada. Retrieved February 21, 2015.
- Les 14 Prix de Quebec" "Le prix Lionel-Boulet s'adresse aux chercheuses et aux chercheurs qui se sont distingués par leurs inventions, leurs innovations scientifiques et technologiques, leur leadership dans le développement scientifique et leur apport à la croissance économique du Québec."
- Récipiendaires – Prix Marie-Victorin, Québec, retrieved 2020-01-27
- "Royal Canadian Institute | The Sandford Fleming Award". royalcanadianinstitute.ca. Archived from the original on 2014-05-25. Retrieved 2014-04-07.
- "Sir John William Dawson Medal". The Royal Society of Canada. Archived from the original on October 28, 2015. Retrieved June 6, 2005.
- "Arthur B. Guise". Society of Fire Protection Engineers. Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- Nierenberg Prize for Science in the Public Interest, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UC San Diego, retrieved 2020-01-22
- "国家最高科学技术奖". Chinese Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- "What are the two academicians who won the highest science and technology award in the country?". news.cbt9.com. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- Backgrounder: China´s State Science and Technology Awards
- "Introduction". shawprize.org. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "G.D. Birla Award for Scientific Research". KK Birla Foundation. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "H. K. Firodia Awards 2017". H. K. Firodia Memorial Foundation. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Scientists honoured with HK Firodia awards in Pune". Hindustan Times. 2019-02-02. Retrieved 2019-08-18.
- Ramasami T (2008). "India Science Award - 2009" (PDF). Current Science. 95 (12): 1762–1763.
- National cademy of Sciences, India (October 2014). "Om Praksh Bhasin Foundation". Springer. 37 (5): 483–486. doi:10.1007/s40009-014-0281-0.
- "SHANTI SWARUP BHATNAGAR AWARD FOR GENOMICS AND MOLECULAR WORK IN PULSES". ICRISAT. September 27, 2016.
- Press Trust of India (27 September 2000). "10 scientists nominated for Bhatnagar Awards". Indian Express. Archived from the original on 21 April 2003. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- "Science award for two PGI doctors". Lucknow: Times of India. 29 November 2011. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- "HCL to promote IT City". Daily Pioneer. 28 December 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- The Dan David Prize Archived 2012-04-25 at the Wayback Machine
- Mr. Harvey Retrieved February 7, 2019.
- Prize Conditions Retrieved February 7, 2019.
- Physicsworld.com: Wolf prize goes to particle theorists
- Basolo, F: "From Coello to Inorganic Chemistry: A Lifetime of Reactions", page 65, Springer, 2002
- "The Japan Prize Foundation". www.japanprize.jp.
- "Donald Knuth Wins Kyoto Prize". web.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2019-12-21.
Donald E. Knuth, one of the founding fathers of computer science, has been awarded the 1996 Kyoto Prize, Japan’s equivalent of the Nobel Prize and the country’s highest private award for lifetime achievement.
- Yount, Lisa (2007). "Saruhashi, Katsuko". A to Z of Women in Science and Math (Rev. ed.). New York: Infobase Pub. p. 264. ISBN 1-4381-0795-1.[unreliable source?]
- Otsubo, Sumiko (2007). "Women Scientists and Gender Ideology". In Robertson, Jennifer (ed.). A Companion to the Anthropology of Japan. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons. p. 475. ISBN 1-4051-4145-X.
- "Homepage KFIP".
- "Selection Procedure".
- "Ho-Am Prize". The Ho-Am Foundation. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- The Vietnamese Government 1945-2000, p. 214, 2000.
- Die Stiftung, Stiftung Werner-von-Siemens-Ring, retrieved 2020-01-20
- Spinoza Prize, The Dutch Research Council, nwo.nl, retrieved 2020-02-09
- Stevin Prize, The Dutch Research Council, nwo.nl, retrieved 2020-02-09
- "Makdougall Brisbane Prize". Royal Society of Scotland. Retrieved 4 December 2014.