The world sorted by their gross domestic product per capita at nominal values. This is the value of all final goods and services produced within a nation in a given year, converted at market exchange rates to current U.S. dollars, divided by the average population for the same year.
The figures presented here do not take into account differences in the cost of living in different countries, and the results vary greatly from one year to another based on fluctuations in the exchange rates of the country's currency. Such fluctuations change a country's ranking from one year to the next, even though they often make little or no difference to the standard of living of its population.
Therefore, these figures should be used with caution. GDP per capita is often considered an indicator of a country's standard of living; although this is problematic because GDP per capita is not a measure of personal income.
Comparisons of national income are also frequently made on the basis of purchasing power parity (PPP), to adjust for differences in the cost of living in different countries. (See List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita.) PPP largely removes the exchange rate problem but not others; it does not reflect the value of economic output in international trade, and it also requires more estimation than GDP per capita. On the whole, PPP per capita figures are more narrowly spread than nominal GDP per capita figures.
Non-sovereign entities (the world, continents, and some dependent territories) are included in the list because they appear in the sources. These economies are not ranked in the charts here, but are listed in sequence by GDP for comparison. They are marked in italics.
List of per capita nominal GDP for countries and dependencies
|International Monetary Fund (2016)||World Bank (2016)||United Nations (2015)|
- List of IMF ranked countries by GDP, IMF ranked GDP (nominal), GDP (nominal) per capita, GDP (PPP), GDP (PPP) per capita, Population, and PPP
- List of countries by average wage
- List of countries by external debt
Notes and references
- Based on the IMF data. If no data was available for a country from IMF, data from the World Bank is used.
- O'Sullivan, Arthur
- French President seeks alternatives to GDP, The Guardian 14-09-2009.
"European Parliament, Policy Department Economic and Scientific Policy: Beyond GDP Study" (PDF). (1.47 MB)
- "World GDP - per capita (PPP) - Economy". www.indexmundi.com.
- Some data refers to IMF staff estimates but some are actual figures for the year 2016, made in 12 April 2017. World Economic Outlook Database-April 2017, International Monetary Fund. Accessed on 18 April 2017.
- Data refer mostly to the year 2015.  (selecting all countries, GDP per capita (current US$), , World Bank. Accessed on 26 December 2016, Liechtenstein updated 6. November 2016
- National Accounts Main Aggregates Database, 2015, (Select all countries, "GDP, Per Capita GDP - US Dollars", and 2015 to generate table), United Nations Statistics Division. Accessed on 4 Jan 2016.
- Chart of GDP per capita at current US$ prices by Google, World Bank data
- World Map and Chart of GDP per capita at current prices by Lebanese-economy-forum, World Bank data