The San Diego Chargers announced their 40th Anniversary Team in 2000 to honor the top players and coaches in the history of the National Football League team. The Chargers began play in 1960 as part of the American Football League. The anniversary team included 31 players and coaches voted on by fans and a media panel. The team became the Los Angeles Chargers after relocating in 2017.
|Member of Pro Football Hall of Fame|
|Years||Years with the San Diego Chargers|
|Keith Lincoln||1961–1966, 1968|
|Leslie O'Neal||1986, 1988–1995|
|Billy Ray Smith||1983–1992|
|Sid Gillman*[b]||1960–1969, 1971|
- "History". Chargers.com. The San Diego Chargers. Archived from the original on July 31, 2012.
- Trotter, Jim (October 6, 2000). "Elite from 40 seasons in San Diego honored". The San Diego Union-Tribune. p. D-1.
- "Chargers Honor Lincoln". Lewiston Tribune. October 24, 2000. Archived from the original on July 31, 2012 – via WSUCougars.com.
- Gasper, Christopher L. (January 20, 2008). "Hard-charging Harrison enjoying a healthy outlook". The Boston Globe. Archived from the original on January 25, 2013. Retrieved July 30, 2012.(subscription required)
- Canepa, Nick (July 8, 2000). "Cup runneth over for all-time Chargers team". The San Diego Union-Tribune. p. D-1.
- "Chargers 50th anniversary team". The Press-Enterprise. November 17, 2009. Archived from the original on August 26, 2011.
- Dulac, Gerry (October 8, 2006). "Head to Head: RBs LaDainian Tomlinson & Michael Turner vs. LBs James Farrior & Larry Foote". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Archived from the original on July 31, 2012.