The Rajya Sabha (meaning the "Council of States") is the upper house of the Parliament of India. Bihar state elects 16 members since 2002 biennial elections . Earlier, Bihar State elected 21 seats since April 1952 and 22 seats since 1956 and 16 members after the Bihar Reorganisation Act 2000 and creation of new Jharkhand state on 15 November 2000. They are indirectly elected by the State Legislators of Bihar State. Members are elected for six years and 1/3 of members are retired after every two years. The number of seats, allocated to the party, are determined by the number of seats a party possesses during nomination and the party nominates a member to be voted on. Elections within the state legislatures are held using Single transferable vote with proportional representation.
Members are listed in the list of current members of the Rajya Sabha#Bihar – 16.
Current Members (2020)
Alphabetical list of all members from Bihar
This is the term wise list of former Rajya Sabha members from Bihar, arranged alphabetically by Last name of the member.
Source: Parliament of India (Rajya Sabha)
The list is incomplete.
Keys: Bharatiya Janata Party Jan Sangh Janata Dal United Samta Party Indian National Congress Lok Janashakti Party Rashtriya Janata Dal Janata Dal Janata Party Socialist Party Jharkhand Party Samyukta Socialist Party Swatantra Party Praja Socialist Party Communist Party of India Independent Nominated
- "Composition of Rajya Sabha - Rajya Sabha At Work" (PDF). rajyasabha.nic.in. Rajya Sabha Secretariat, New Delhi. Archived from the original (PDF) on 5 March 2016. Retrieved 28 December 2015.
- "Statewise List". 22.214.171.124. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- Alphabetical list of former members of Rajya Sabha Archived 2010-01-09 at the Wayback Machine
- "BJP's Satish Chandra Dubey bags Rajya Sabha seat in Bihar". Money Control. 9 October 2019. Retrieved 16 October 2019.
- "Veteran lawyer and former Union minister Ram Jethmalani passes away at 95". India Today. 8 September 2019. Retrieved 16 October 2019.
- "Jethmalani, Kesri's RS term ends on April 2, 2000". rediff.com. Archived from the original on 2 August 2017. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Nehru-Gandhi family loyalist Rajani Patil takes oath as Rajya Sabha member". Indian Express. PTI. Retrieved 30 December 2015.