Listed below are the colleges or universities with the most NCAA Division I-sanctioned team championships, individual championships, and combined team and individual championships, as documented by information published on official NCAA websites. Excluded from this list are all national championships earned outside the scope of NCAA competition, including Division I FBS football titles, women's AIAW championships, equestrian titles, and retroactive Helms title nominations.
NCAA Division I Team Championships
Through July 1, 2018, per NCAA annual list published every July, for sports years through that date; updated results for subsequent sports year(s).
† Co-ed sports include fencing (since 1990), rifle, and skiing (since 1983). Fencing championships before 1990 and skiing championships before 1983 were awarded as men's or women's championships and are counted here as such.
- The NCAA started sponsoring the intercollegiate golf championship in 1939, but it retained the titles from the 41 championships previously conferred by the National Intercollegiate Golf Association in its records. Of these pre-NCAA titles, Yale, Princeton, Michigan and Stanford won 20, 11, 2 and 1, respectively.
- Arkansas' 2004 and 2005 men's outdoor track and field championships, LSU's 2012 women's outdoor track and field championship, and UCLA's 1995 softball championship were all vacated by the NCAA Committee on Infractions and are not included in the schools' totals.
Combined NCAA Division I Team and Individual Championships
The following table lists the top ten NCAA schools with the most combined NCAA Division I Team and Individual Championships.
- See Note (a) in the table "NCAA Division I Team Championships", above.
- "NCAA Combined Championship Summary" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-03-19.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-01-26. Retrieved 2011-02-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2009-05-26. Retrieved 2011-02-03.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Quick Facts - UCLA Undergraduate Admission". www.admissions.ucla.edu.
- UCLA Men's Water Polo beats Southern Cal for NCAA Championship, BruinsNation.com, December 3, 2017
- "UC Berkeley Fall Enrollment Data - Office of Planning and Analysis". opa.berkeley.edu.
- "Penn State Traditions :: Official Athletic Site". www.gopsusports.com. Archived from the original on 2009-03-24. Retrieved 2015-02-01.