Of the 65 federal electoral divisions first contested at the 1901 election, 33 are still in existence without ever being abolished. These are referred to as Federation Divisions, with the Australian Electoral Commission's redistribution guidelines stating that "Every effort should be made to retain the names of original federation divisions".
- The Division of Riverina was abolished in 1984 and re-created in 1993, so has not been contested at every election.
- Although there were 75 members in the House of Representatives in 1901, there were only 65 divisions contested as the states of South Australia and Tasmania consisted of single multi-member divisions electing 7 and 5 members respectively.
|State||Divisions at 1901 election||Current Federation divisions|
|New South Wales||26||13|
In the state parliaments:
- In New South Wales, there is only one of the original 34 contested in 1856 that still exists.
- In Victoria, three of the original 37 contested in 1856 still exist.
- In Queensland there is only one of the original 16 contested in 1860.
- In South Australia there is also only one of the original 17 contested in 1856.
- In Western Australia, five of the original 30 contested in 1890 still exist.
- In the Northern Territory, there are nine of the original 19 contested in 1974.
- In both Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory none still exist.
|Division of Ballarat||Vic|
|Division of Bendigo||Vic|
|Division of Brisbane||Qld|
|Division of Capricornia||Qld|
|Division of Corangamite||Vic|
|Division of Corio||Vic|
|Division of Cowper||NSW|
|Division of Eden-Monaro||NSW|
|Division of Flinders||Vic|
|Division of Fremantle||WA|
|Division of Gippsland||Vic|
|Division of Herbert||Qld|
|Division of Hume||NSW|
|Division of Hunter||NSW|
|Division of Indi||Vic|
|Division of Kennedy||Qld|
|Division of Kooyong||Vic|
|Division of Macquarie||NSW|
|Division of Maranoa||Qld|
|Division of Melbourne||Vic|
|Division of Moreton||Qld|
|Division of New England||NSW|
|Division of Newcastle||NSW|
|Division of North Sydney||NSW|
|Division of Parramatta||NSW|
|Division of Perth||WA|
|Division of Richmond||NSW|
|Division of Robertson||NSW|
|Division of Swan||WA|
|Division of Wannon||Vic|
|Division of Wentworth||NSW|
|Division of Werriwa||NSW|
|Division of Wide Bay||Qld|
New South Wales
- Electoral district of Brighton
- Electoral district of Richmond (Victoria)
- Electoral district of Williamstown
- Electoral district of Albany
- Electoral district of Bunbury
- Electoral district of Fremantle
- Electoral district of Geraldton
- Electoral district of Murray-Wellington
- Electoral division of Arnhem
- Electoral division of Barkly
- Electoral division of Casuarina
- Electoral division of Fannie Bay
- Electoral division of Nhulunbuy
- Electoral division of Nightcliff
- Electoral division of Port Darwin
- Electoral division of Sanderson
- Electoral division of Stuart
- "Guidelines for naming federal electoral divisions". Australian Electoral Commission. Retrieved 23 January 2018.