Since the creation of the first league in 1891, several official cups have been played in Argentina apart from the main competition, the Primera División championship. The first cup held in the country was the Copa de Honor Municipalidad de Buenos Aires; launched in 1905, it was played until 1920.
The Copa Campeonato, originally awarded to Primera División champion, is the oldest trophy of Argentine football for a current competition, having been established in 1896, three year after the Association was created, and played without interruption until 1926. The Cup received several names, such as "Championship Cup", "Copa Campeonato", "Challenge Cup" and "Copa Alumni", due to the association offered legendary team Alumni to keep the Cup definitely for having won it three consecutive times (1900–02), but the club from Belgrano declined the honour to keep the trophy under dispute.
On June, 2013, the association decided to put the trophy back into circulation with the creation of a new competition, named "Superfinal" that consisted in a single match between winners of Torneo Inicial and Torneo Final, played in a neutral venue.
List of Cups
Titles by club
Apart from the cups mentioned, there were other competitions such as Copa Bullrich (contested from 1903 to 1934 by teams of lower divisions) and Copa Presidente de la Nación (contested from representatives of regional leagues), originally organised by dissident Asociación Amateurs de Football (1920–26) and then continued by AFA from 1927 to 1989).
- Memoria y Balance 1935 - Argentine Football Association Library
- "El trofeo más añejo del fútbol argentino" at AFA website, 26 Jun 2013
- Argentina - Domestic Cup History on RSSSF
- Orígenes de la Asociación on AFA website
- "Presentaron Superfinal Vélez-Newell's" ESPN
- "Una Copa con mucha historia", Diario Uno, 27 Jun 2013
- Así se jugará la Copa de la Superliga, el nuevo torneo del fútbol argentino, Infobae, 19 Jul 2018
- Campeones de Copas Nacionales on AFA website, retrieved 5 Aug 2016
- "La AFA homologó la Superfinal de River como una Copa Nacional" on CanchaLlena.com