Weston performing in 2014
|Birth name||Wesley Eric Weston Jr.|
|Born||March 3, 1981|
Cloverland, Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, record producer, songwriter|
Wesley Eric Weston Jr. (born March 3, 1981), better known by his stage name Lil' Flip, is an American rapper. He embarked on his musical career as a freestyle and battle rapper before earning a record deal with Suckafree Records in 1999. Lil' Flip is best known for his singles "The Way We Ball", "Game Over" and "Sunshine".
1999–2003: The Leprechaun and Undaground Legend
In 1999 Lil' Flip and Dat Boy Zo would sign his first record deal with independent Houston, Texas label Suckafree Records. On July 18, 2000 Lil' Flip would release his debut album The Leprechaun, catching the attention of DJ Screw, who added the rapper into his loose-knit rap group called the Screwed Up Click. DJ Screw pronounced Lil' Flip "The Freestyle King."
In 2002, Columbia Records offered Flip a contract and Suckafree a distribution deal. Flip stated "We felt that they not only respected what we'd already accomplished on our own, but they also saw the big picture of what me as an artist, and Hump and I as Suckafree's CEOs were all about." Lil Flip released his second album Undaground Legend on August 27, 2002. The album was certified Platinum in December 2002. It contained his hit single "The Way We Ball". In 2003 Lil' Flip was also featured in David Banner single "Like A Pimp". Then he also made featured appearance on Yung Wun's charting single "Tear It Up". He also made another appearance on Three 6 Mafia single "Ridin' Spinners" that made the charts. In 2003, he also did a track with Ludacris called "Screwed Up".
2004–05: U Gotta Feel Me
In 2004 Lil' Flip released his third album & first double-disc album U Gotta Feel Me, his most successful album to date. Lil' Flip's label Columbia restructured and Flip ended up at Sony Urban Music, which he believed could promote his work better. The first single from the album was "Game Over (Flip)". After that he quickly released his second single, "Sunshine" featuring Lea Sunshine. This album sold 198,000 domestic copies in its first week and was certified double Platinum by August, 2004. Lil' Flip also made an appearance on the "Naughty Girl (Remix)" with Beyoncé in 2004. He was also featured on Chingy's Powerballin' on the remix of Chingy's successful hit single "Balla Baby". In 2004 he also made a remix to his hit single "Game Over (Flip)" which featured Young Buck and Bun B. He also made a guest appearance on Nelly's successful 2004 album "Sweat". He also collaborated with Jim Jones and The Game on the "Certified Gangstas (Remix)" in 2004. In 2005 Lil' Flip & Z-Ro made a collaboration album titled Kings of the South. Also in 2005 Lil' Flip was featured in Chamillionaire's first single "Turn It Up". He was also featured in the remix of Bun B's single "Draped Up".
2007–09: I Need Mine and Respect Me
In 2007 Lil' Flip left Columbia records, founding his own label Clover G Records & would sign a new label deal with Asylum & Warner Bros.. Lil' Flip would release his third album & second double-disc album titled I Need Mine on March 27, 2007, the album debuted at number 15 on the Billboard 200 with 43,000 copies sold in its first week. Only two singles were released from the album, "What It Do" & "Ghetto Mindstate (Can't Get Away)".
His planned fifth album Ahead of My Time was originally set to be released as early as 2007, but was pushed back many times. Lil' Flip released two "album-before-the-album's" in 2009 to help promote the release of Ahead of My Time. On September 29, 2009 Lil' Flip would release his fifth album titled Respect Me to promote Ahead of My Time, it would be distributed by High Powered Entertainment & E1 Music. On December 24, 2009 Lil' Flip would release his first independent album titled Underground Legend 2 to promote Ahead of My Time, it would be distributed independently by Lil' Flip's self-owned label Clover G Records.
2010–present: El Jefe
On July 6, 2010 Lil' Flip would release Ahead of My Time as his second independent album, and debuted his artist Damienn jones "Beauty and the Beast" album, it would be distributed independently by Lil' Flip's self-owned label Clover G Records.
On October 31, 2013 Lil' Flip released his third independent album The Black Dr. Kevorkian, it would also be distributed independently by Lil' Flip's self-owned label Clover G Records & would sell over 10,000 copies its first week.
On March 17, 2015 Lil' Flip released his sixth album titled El Jefe, it was distributed by SoSouth Records. The lead single from the album was titled "Game Over II", which was sequel to his critically acclaimed single "Game Over (Flip)". The second single from the album, was titled "In My Pimp C Voice", which was a dedication song towards deceased artist Pimp C. The third single from the album, was titled "Bestfriend" the single would feature artist's E.J. & Rev City.
Clover G Records
|Clover G Records|
|Founder||Wesley "Lil' Flip" Weston Jr. (CEO) & (President)|
|Distributor(s)||Asylum, Warner Bros. (2007-2008)|
|Genre||Hip-hop, pop, Crunk, R&B|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Houston, Texas (2004-present)|
Clover G Records or Clover G La Familia is a record label owned by Houston, Texas rapper Lil' Flip, it was created in 2004.
In 2004 Lil' Flip released his shoe line titled "Clover Footwear" which is branded off his self-owned label Clover G Records. Lil' Flip also has a fashion clothing line titled "Clover G Clothing" which is also branded off his self-owned label Clover G Records.
- Studio albums
- 2000: The Leprechaun
- 2002: Undaground Legend
- 2004: U Gotta Feel Me
- 2007: I Need Mine
- 2009: Respect Me
- 2009: Underground Legend 2
- 2010: Ahead of My Time
- 2013: The Black Dr. Kevorkian
- 2015: El Jefe
- 2016: The Art of Freestyle
- 2018: King
- 2018: Life
- Collaboration albums
- 2005: Kings of the South (with Z-Ro)
- 2006: Connected (with Mr. Capone-E)
- 2007: Still Connected (with Mr. Capone-E)
- 2008: All Eyez on Us (with Young Noble)
- 2009: Certified (with Gudda Gudda)
- Soundtrack album
- 2014: Don't Let the Music Industry Fool You
- Don't Let The Music Industry Fool You! by Wesley "Lil' Flip" Weston (2014: Harris Royal Bloodline Publishing, 15 April 2014)
- Birchmeier, Jason (2008). "Lil' Flip: Biography". allmusic. Retrieved August 17, 2009.
- Proctor, Becky (April 18, 2002). "Lil' Flip OK after shooting, still plans to release album" (Fee required). Houston, Texas: University Wire. Retrieved August 17, 2009.[dead link]
- "Lil' Flip Biography". Archived from the original on February 26, 2011. Retrieved 2017-05-15.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link). Pandora.com
- Arnold, Paul W (2009-09-18). "Lil Flip Talks "Respect Me," Rap-A-Lot Records | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Archived from the original on 2011-07-03. Retrieved 2011-11-03.
- "Chicken N Beer: Where are they now?" Archived 2014-04-13 at the Wayback Machine BET
- "iTunes - Music - Underground Legend 2 by Lil' Flip". Archived from the original on 2012-11-05.
- "El Jefe". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2015-11-20.
- "Amazon.com: El Jefe [Explicit]: Lil' Flip: MP3 Downloads". Archived from the original on 2015-11-19.
- "Game Over II - Single". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2015-11-21.
- "In My Pimp C Voice - Single". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2015-11-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-11-20. Retrieved 2015-11-19.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Bestfriend (feat. E.J. & Rev City) - Single". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2015-05-18.
- "Lil Flip Launches Clover Footwear and Clothing Line". SoJones. Archived from the original on 2015-04-13.
- "Clover G Clothing - Online". Clover G Clothing. Archived from the original on 2015-04-16.
- "Amazon.com: Don't Let The Music Industry Fool You! eBook: Wesley "Lil' Flip" Weston: Kindle Store". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05.
- "Don't Let the Music Industry Fool You (Soundtrack)". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2016-03-06.
- "iTunes - Music - King by Lil' Flip". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2018-05-03. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "iTunes - Music - Life by Lil' Flip". iTunes. Archived from the original on 2018-04-03. Retrieved 2018-03-26.