|• Mayor||Dietlind Hagenau|
|• Total||83.41 km2 (32.20 sq mi)|
|Elevation||99 m (325 ft)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
In 1960, Leuna's population was nearly 10,000, but after reunification high unemployment rates and poor living conditions, including pollution from nearby industries, caused significant outward migration. Before the 31 December 2009 incorporation of neighbouring municipalities, its population had sunk to 6,670.
Leuna's industrial site stretches over 13 km², making it one of the widest chemical industry sites in Germany. At the beginning of the 21st century, a wide range of chemical products and plastics are made there. A pilot plant to produce isobutylene from vegetal stock is being built by the French company Global Bioenergies and should start during 2016.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Christian August Crusius (1715-1775), philosopher and evangelical theologian
- Wolfram Adolphi (born 1951), journalist and political scientist
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leuna.|
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden – Stand: 31. Dezember 2018" (PDF). Statistisches Landesamt Sachsen-Anhalt (in German).
- InfraLeuna Archived 2012-02-24 at the Wayback Machine
- InfraLeuna Welcome to InfraLeuna Archived 2012-02-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Thierry Lucas (21 November 2013). "Global Bioenergies va construire un pilote de bioproduction d'isobutène en Allemagne". usinenouvelle.com (in French). Retrieved 15 September 2015..
- Thierry Lucas (22 May 2015). "Global Bioenergies et Cristal Union s'associent pour produire 50 000 tonnes par an d'isobutène biosourcé". usinenouvelle.com (in French). Retrieved 15 September 2015..