|Le Mans 1955|
|Written by||Julien Lilti|
|Directed by||Quentin Baillieux|
|Music by||Ali Elvis Helnwein|
|Country of origin||France|
|Original languages||English, French|
|Producer||Nicolas de Rosanbo & Carole Lambert|
|Editor||Benjamin Massoubre & Vincent Tricon|
|Running time||15 minutes|
Le Mans 1955 is a CG animated short film directed by Quentin Baillieux and produced by Nicolas de Rosanbo & Carole Lambert inspired by the 1955 Le Mans car crash disaster. The short has been presented in a number of festivals including in the Clermont-Ferrand International Short Film Festival and the Annecy International Animated Film Festival in 2019, and won awards such as the St. Louis International Film Festival for Best Animated Short Film award, qualifying it for the Oscars.
24 Hours of Le Mans, 1955. 300,000 spectators are in attendance. Mercedes-Benz's Silver Arrows, fielding an international all-star team of drivers, are the favorites to win. For their team manager, Alfred Neubauer, it is his final race before retirement. As such, he hopes to win big, and is pinning his hopes on his first team of Juan Manuel Fangio and Stirling Moss. The team's second car, driven by Pierre Levegh and John Fitch, is to support them and make sure they keep the lead. Fitch is disappointed that they aren't being trusted to take the lead spot, but Levegh assures him that they could still be the winning car, as "anything can happen in 24 hours."
The Le Mans start sees early trouble for the Mercedes team when Fangio's car stalls at the start, leaving Levegh as the primary car. As Fitch watches, Levegh tries to catch the leading Jaguar of Mike Hawthorn, while Fangio struggles to make up for lost time. At 6:26 p.m., as the Mercedes drivers are preparing to switch for the next leg, a huge fireball erupts in the stands across from the pits. Fangio, coming in to switch with Moss, reports that the source is Levegh's car, which has left the track and crashed into the crowd, killing eighty-four people, including himself.
When he observes the carnage, Fitch urges Neubauer to withdraw Moss's car, which is now running second, but Neubauer is reluctant to abandon his final race. Finally, in the early light of dawn, just as Moss takes the lead, Neubauer makes the decision to pull Mercedes-Benz out of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, declaring, "We are racing drivers, we're not monsters."
- Nathan Willcocks - John Fitch
- Joe Sheridan (actor) - Alfred Neubauer
- Nicholas Mead - Pierre Levegh
- Alonso Venegas Flores - Juan Manuel Fangio
Since its launch, the film has received numerous awards, and selected in more than 75 festivals around the world.
|2018||Off Courts - Trouville (France)||"Best animated short film"||Nominated|
|Warsaw International Film Festival (Poland)||"Best animated short film"||Nominated|
|St. Louis International Film Festival (USA)||"Best Animated Short Film"||Won|
|2019||French Animation Film Festival, Rennes (France)||"Grand Prix for a Professional Short Film"||Won|
|Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma (France)||César Award for Best Short Film||Shortlisted|
|Annecy International Animated Film Festival (France)||"Best Animated Short Film 2019"||Nominated|
|Animamundi Film Festival (Brazil)||"Best Animated Short Film"||Nominated|
|Animayo, Las Palmas, Canary Islands (Spain)||"Best Art Direction"||Won|
|Short Shorts Film Festival & Asia, Tokyo (China, Japan)||"Best CG"||Nominated|
|HollyShorts Film Festival - Los Angeles (USA)||"Best Animated Short Film"||Nominated|
- @canalplussport (29 June 2018). "24H du Mans, 1955 📚 La course est grandiose 300 000 spectateurs 🏟️ Jamais les bolides n'ont été aussi rapides, aussi beaux. Les "Flèches d'argent" de Mercedes sont les favorites 👀 "Le Mans 1955", court-métrage d'animation à 0H30 dans la nuit de samedi à dimanche @canalplus" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Kroustallis, Vassilis (13 September 2018). "Sneak Preview - Le Mans 1955". Zippy Frames.
- "Clermont-Ferrand : La tragédie du Mans en 1955 en court-métrage d'animation". France Info. 7 February 2019.
- "Le Mans 1955 - Festival d'Annecy". Annecy Festival.
- Dreyfus, Stéphane (13 April 2019). "Annecy Festival 2019 : 9 promising short film in selection". La Croix (in French).
- "27th Annual Whitaker St. Louis International Film Festival Awards Presented Nov. 11, 2018". 11 November 2018.
- "Le Mans 1955 Career - Studio Wasia". Studio Wasia.
- "FOCUS SUR LES COURTS MÉTRAGES SÉLECTIONNÉS POUR LES CÉSAR 2019".
- The Short Film Le Mans 1955 on Vimeo
- Le Mans 1955 official website
- Le Mans 1955 page on Facebook
- Le Mans 1955 on IMDb
|This article related to a short animated film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|