Lawrence Park Township
|Etymology: James Lawrence|
|• Total||1.84 sq mi (4.76 km2)|
|• Land||1.84 sq mi (4.76 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||2,080.07/sq mi (802.93/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Lawrence Park Township is the only first class township in Erie County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 4,048 at the 2000 census. The 2010 census counted a population of 3,982, for a decline of 1.6% during the decade. The entire township is also listed as a census-designated place.
The township was established in 1910 as a company town for General Electric. It was named after USS Lawrence, flagship of Oliver Hazard Perry, and her namesake, James Lawrence, commander of USS Chesapeake during the War of 1812.
Lawrence Park Township is located at  It is bordered to the west by the city of Erie, to the south by Erie and the borough of Wesleyville, to the east by Harborcreek Township, and to the north by Lake Erie.(42.151257, -80.019648).
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,048 people, 1,547 households, and 1,124 families residing in the township. The population density was 2,176.8 people per square mile (840.3/km²). There were 1,626 housing units at an average density of 874.4/sq mi (337.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.67% White, 0.52% African American, 0.02% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.17% from other races, and 0.40% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.82% of the population.
There were 1,547 households, out of which 33.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 14.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.3% were non-families. 23.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 3.00.
In the township the population was spread out, with 25.2% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 21.7% from 45 to 64, and 19.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 86.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.2 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $40,625, and the median income for a family was $46,944. Males had a median income of $35,964 versus $25,613 for females. The per capita income for the township was $19,131. About 4.3% of families and 6.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.8% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- Bureau, U. S. Census. "American FactFinder - Results". factfinder.census.gov. US Census Bureau. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lawrence Park township, Erie County, Pennsylvania". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 21, 2016.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- United States Census Bureau. "Census of Population and Housing". Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.