|Formation||1842 (formally 1884)|
|Sonja Stewart, CEO|
The Law Society of New South Wales is a professional association which represents over 29,000 solicitors in Australia. The Law Society has statutory powers and regulates the practice of law in New South Wales.
The Law Society of NSW encourages debate and actively drives law reform issues through policy submissions and open dialogue with governments, parliamentary bodies, the courts and the New South Wales Department of Justice. It ensures the general public has appropriate access to justice and can be easily connected to members of the profession when they require legal advice.
Along with the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner, the Law Society sets and enforces professional standards, licenses solicitors to practise, investigates complaints and administers discipline to ensure both the community and the profession are properly served by ethical and responsible solicitors.
The Law Society was informally started in 1842. In 1884, the society was formalized as "The Incorporated Law Institute of New South Wales", and had its first annual meeting the following year.
In 1960, the institute was renamed to "The Law Society of New South Wales". In 1963, the Society started publishing The Law Society Journal. The society also established the College of Law in 1973, the Legal Practitioners Act 1987 (NSW), Law Industry Superannuation Trust (LIST) and LawCare in 1989, and the Office of the Legal Services Commissioner in 1992.
List of presidents
|1884–1891||John Williams||NSW Crown Solicitor|
|1892–1908||William Hilson Pigott|
|1947–49||Arthur E. Abbott||Parner, Garland Seaborn & Abbott|
|1951–52||RZ de Ferranti|
|1960–61||John Watling||Partner, Sly & Russell|
|1986||Kim A Garling|
|1991||DA de Carvalho|
|1992||John R Marsden||Founding Partner, Marsdens|
|1993||John Nelson||Partner, Gadens|
|1999||Margaret C Hole|
|2000||John FS North|
|2001||Nick K Meagher|
|2003||Robert JC Benjamin|
|2004||Gordon A Salier|
|2005||John E McIntyre|
|2007||Geoff J Dunlevy||Partner, Rhodes Kildea|
|2008||Hugh I Macken|
|2009||Joseph J Catanzariti||Partner, Clayton Utz|
|2010||Mary J Macken|
|2011||Stuart D Westgarth||Partner, HWL Ebsworth|
|2012||Justin J Dowd||Partner, Watts McCray|
|2013||John C Dobson|
|2014||Ros E Everett||Partner, Everett Evans|
|2015||John F Eades||Partner, Noyce, Salmon & D'Aquino|
|2016||Gary S Ulman||Partner, Minter Ellison|
|2017||Pauline Wright||Partner, PJ Donnellan & Co|
|2021||Juliana Warner||Managing Partner, Herbert Smith Freehills|
Structure and organisation
The Law Society is governed by an internal Council, the Legal Profession Act 2004 (NSW) and the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The Council meets monthly and has 21 elected members who sit for 3 year terms and one appointed member who sits for 1 year. The Council has 2 country lawyer councillors, 2 suburban lawyer councillors, 2 city lawyer councillors, 2 corporate lawyer councillors, 2 government lawyer councillors, 2 large firm lawyer councillors, 1 NSW Young Lawyers councillor (appointed), and 8 general councillors. Law Society Councillors sit on the boards of LawCover (legal insurer), the NSW Legal Practitioners Fidelity Fund, the Legal Profession Admissions Board, the Public Interest Advocacy Centre (among others).
The Law Society has 23 committees devoted to different aspects of law.
- Australian and New Zealand Law and History Society
- Law Council of Australia
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Law society
- "The Law Society of New South Wales Homepage". The Law Society of New South Wales. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Professional Standards Council Home". New South Wales Professional Standards Council. Archived from the original on 15 June 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/lawlink/psc/ll_psc.nsf/vwFiles/Scheme_LawSociety_Summary_nsw_20062011.pdf/$file/Scheme_LawSociety_Summary_nsw_20062011.pdf retrieved 2010-10-27 Archived 30 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- http://www.lawsociety.com.au/resources/policypapersandsubmissions/index.htm retrieved 2013-09-24
- http://www.lawsociety.com.au/ForSolictors/professionalstandards/index.htm retrieved 2013-09-24
- "Law Society of NSW – History". Lawsociety.com.au. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "THE LAW INSTITUTE". 29 September 1888. p. 7 – via Trove.
- "HEATH OF HON. W. H. PIGOTT". 15 March 1909. p. 6 – via Trove.
- "SYDNEY LEGAL FIGURE". 13 July 1937. p. 16 – via Trove.
- http://justinianarchive.com/828-article ; http://justinianarchive.com/833-article
- "President's message - 29 October 2018 | The Law Society of NSW". www.lawsociety.com.au. Retrieved 21 December 2020.
- "Former Law Society President appointed as Land and Environment Court Commissioner | The Law Society of NSW". www.lawsociety.com.au. Retrieved 21 December 2020.
- "Law Society of NSW announces 2021 President | The Law Society of NSW". www.lawsociety.com.au. Retrieved 21 December 2020.
- "Law Society of NSW – Council". Lawsociety.com.au. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Law Society of NSW – Pro Bono Scheme". Lawsociety.com.au. Retrieved 28 December 2010.