Brown was the son of F.J. Brown and was born at Basingstoke and educated at Luton Grammar School, Queens' College Cambridge and Cuddesdon Theological College, Oxford. In 1935 he married Florence Blanche Marshall.
Brown was secretary of the Southwark Diocesan Reorganisation Committee from 1946 to 1960 and secretary of the South London Church Fund from 1952 to 1960. He was also chairman of the Church of England Youth Council from 1961 to 1966.
- Independent obituary (Accessed 2 February 2018)
- Newbigin, Lesslie (2009) Unfinished Agenda: An Updated Autobiography (Wipf and Stock) p. 230
- The Times, 23 January 1970, "Church News: Two New Bishops Appointed"
- “Who was Who” 1897–1990 London, A & C Black, 1991 ISBN 071363457X
- The Times, 1 September 1960, "Ecclesiastical News: New Bishop Suffragan of Warrington"
- The Birmingham Post Year Book and Who's Who 1973-74
|Church of England titles|
| Bishop of Warrington
| Bishop of Birmingham