This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||November 21, 1942|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1968–1971||William & Mary (OL)|
|1972–1975||NC State (OL)|
|1985–1986||Atlanta Falcons (OL)|
|1987–1988||Tampa Bay Buccaneers (OL)|
|1989||San Diego Chargers (OL)|
|1990–1994||New York Jets (OL)|
|1995||Houston Oilers (OL)|
|1996–1998||Miami Dolphins (OL)|
|1999–2005||Green Bay Packers (OL)|
|2006||Detroit Lions (OL)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame|
Catawba College Sports Hall of Fame
Larry Beightol (born November 21, 1942) is an American football coach. He has been inducted into both the Pennsylvania Sports Hall of Fame (Western Division) and the Catawba College Hall of Fame.
Beightol's coaching career began in 1968 at the College of William and Mary, where he served as offensive line coach until 1971. From there, Beightol moved on to coach at North Carolina State, Auburn, the University of Arkansas, the University of Missouri, and Louisiana Tech (where he spent the 1979 season as head coach). In 1985, Beightol began his NFL coaching career, where he led the offensive lines for the Atlanta Falcons, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Diego Chargers, New York Jets, Houston Oilers, and Miami Dolphins before joining the Green Bay Packers as offensive line coach in 1999 under Head Coach Ray Rhodes. When Mike Sherman became the Packers coach in 2000, Beightol was one of the few assistant coaches he retained from the previous coaching regime.
In early 2006, Sherman was fired by the Packers after a disappointing 4-12 season. The new head coach, Mike McCarthy, released much of the coaching staff after he was hired, including Beightol. He was hired in late January 2006 by the Detroit Lions and new head coach Rod Marinelli to coach the Lions' offensive line. In January 2007 he was fired from the Detroit Lions.
Beightol stays involved in coaching nationally, as an Offensive Line Coach preparing college stars for the NFL combine, at Competitive Edge Sports (CES) of Atlanta. Beightol also runs a national football camps for high school stars in training.
Head coaching record
|Louisiana Tech Bulldogs (Southland Conference) (1979)|
- "About the Chargers". Pittsburgh Press. November 19, 1989. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- Eskenazi, Gerald (December 2, 1994). "Up Front, the Pressure Is on the Jets' Linemen. Just Listen to Their Coach". The New York Times. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- "McCarthy gets settled in with Packers". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. January 14, 2006. Retrieved March 18, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Lions fire Henderson, O-line coach Beightol, too". ESPN. January 3, 2007. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- "Patterson new coach; Beightol fired". The Times. November 13, 1979. p. 12. Retrieved November 10, 2020 – via Newspapers.com.