Southbound view in March 2012
|Location||Station Street, Lalor|
|Distance||20.72 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
Lalor railway station is located on the Mernda line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the north-eastern Melbourne suburb of Lalor, and opened in October 1949 as Rail Motor Stopping Place 77. It was renamed Lalor on 27 August 1952.
It was originally served by the Thomastown to Whittlesea AEC railmotor shuttle. In November 1959, the line from Reservoir was electrified, with the line beyond Lalor closed. In November 1964, the line was reopened and electrified as far as Epping.
Lalor station, like the suburb in which it is located, was originally pronounced //, as it was named after Peter Lalor, and although some people still pronounce it as such, in recent times, the pronunciation / - /, has become predominant.
The current station building was provided in the mid 1970s.
The current day Platform 1 was formerly a dock platform. In August 1988, points from No. 1 track to the main line were provided at the Down end of the station, effectively forming a crossing loop between Thomastown and Epping. This arrangement existed until November 2011, when the line between Keon Park and Epping was duplicated, with the points at both ends of the station abolished.
Platforms & services
Dysons operates five routes via Lalor station:
- 554: Thomastown station – Thomastown station (Clockwise Loop)
- 555: Pacific Epping – Northland Shopping Centre
- 557: Thomastown station – Thomastown station (Anti Clockwise Loop)
- 559: Thomastown station – Thomastown station (Anti Clockwise Loop)
- 566: Lalor – Northland Shopping Centre
- Lalor Vicsig
- Jack McLean (November 1995). "Reservoir-Whittlesea: Signalling and Safeworking". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 333–337.
- "What Goes On". The Argus. Melbourne. 3 May 1952. p. 2. Retrieved 12 January 2012 – via National Library of Australia.
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 67. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- Victorian Railways News Letter, April 1973, p. 50 and Victorian RailWays, October 1974, p. 155.
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. June 1974. p. 137.
- Up harris arriving Lalor 2-6-1987
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. July 1986. p. 217.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. November 1988. p. 346.
- South Morang Rail Extension, Australia Railway Technology
- "Mernda Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "554 Thomastown via West Lalor (clockwise loop)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "555 Epping - Northland via Lalor & Thomastown & Reservoir". Public Transport Victoria.
- "557 Thomastown via West Lalor (anti clockwise loop)". Public Transport Victoria.
- "559 Thomastown via Darebin Drive". Public Transport Victoria.
- "566 Lalor - Northland via Plenty Road & Childs Road & Grimshaw Street". Public Transport Victoria.