|Population||299 (2016 census)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Cook|
Lakeland is a small farming centre on the Cape York Peninsula. It is at the junction of the main Peninsula Developmental Road (which is paved all the way from Cairns to Lakeland), and the Mulligan Highway.
It contains a hotel, a cafe, and roadhouse and a hardware store. The main products are bananas and cattle.
The village is named for William Lakeland who was one of the earliest prospectors of Cape York Peninsula.
Lakeland has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Lakeland (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- "Lakeland (town) (entry 18830)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Lakeland (locality) (entry 46131)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Lakeland (SSC)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- "Nuggety Gully Water Race and Chinese Camp (entry 600426)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Trezise, P.J. 1969. Quinkan Country: Adventures in Search of Aboriginal Cave Paintings in Cape York. A.H. & A.W. Reed, Sydney.
- Trezise, Percy. 1973. Last Days of a Wilderness. William Collins (Aust) Ltd., Brisbane. ISBN 0-00-211434-8.
- Trezise, P.J. 1993. Dream Road: A Journey of Discovery. Allen & Unwin, St. Leonards, Sydney.
- Premier's Department (prepared by Connell Wagner). 1989. Cape York Peninsula Resource Analysis. Cairns. (1989). ISBN 0-7242-6200-8
- Roth, W.E. 1897. The Queensland Aborigines. 3 Vols. Reprint: Facsimile Edition, Hesperian Press, Victoria Park, W.A., 1984. ISBN 0-85905-054-8
- Ryan, Michelle and Burwell, Colin, eds. 2000. Wildlife of Tropical North Queensland: Cooktown to Mackay. Queensland Museum, Brisbane. ISBN 0-85905-045-9 (set of 3 vols).
- Scarth-Johnson, Vera. 2000. National Treasures: Flowering plants of Cooktown and Northern Australia. Vera Scarth-Johnson Gallery Association, Cooktown. ISBN 0-646-39726-5 (pbk); ISBN 0-646-39725-7 Limited Edition - Leather Bound.
- Sutton, Peter (ed). Languages of Cape York: Papers presented to a Symposium organised by the Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies. Australian Institute of Aboriginal Studies, Canberra. (1976). ISBN 0-85575-046-4
- Wynter, Jo and Hill, John. 1991. Cape York Peninsula: Pathways to Community Economic Development. The Final Report of The Community Economic Development Projects Cook Shire. Cook Shire Council.
Media related to Lakeland, Queensland at Wikimedia Commons