Lake Cuyamaca, seen from Stonewall Peak
San Diego County, California
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||110 acres (45 ha)|
|Surface elevation||4,613 feet (1,406 m)|
Lake Cuyamaca, also called Cuyamaca Lake, or Cuyamaca Reservoir, is a 110 acres (45 ha) reservoir and a recreation area in the eastern Cuyamaca Mountains, located in eastern San Diego County, California.
Lake Cuyamaca is also a recreation area operated by the Helix Water District and the Lake Cuyamaca Recreation and Park District. It offers boating, fishing, and camping at the reservoir. A campground, store, cafe, and tackle shop are onsite.
The reservoir is stocked with over 38,000 lbs. of trout annually, and is the only San Diego lake that is able to stock trout all year long. Other species of fish include trout, Florida bass, smallmouth bass, channel catfish, crappie, bluegill and sturgeon.
Conical Middle Peak is above the area on the east, and North Peak on the north. Hiking trails reach the summit of Cuyamaca Peak, located to the southwest of Cuyamaca Reservoir and in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.
The dam at Cuyamaca is the second oldest in California still in use, and was completed in 1888. It was built to supply drinking water to the city of San Diego. It was originally piped down to San Diego in wooden flumes. It continues to be part of the municipal water supply system for San Diego.
In the mid 1960s the Lake Cuyamaca Recreation and Park District was formed. Through various projects over time, it has created a more permanent water supply infrastructure and new recreation features at the reservoir.
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
- List of dams and reservoirs in California
- Parks in San Diego County, California
- "Lake Cuyamaca". Retrieved 12 December 2015.
- "GNIS Detail - Lake Cuyamaca". Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- "Cuyamaca State Park, in San Diego County, California". Retrieved 31 October 2014.
- Lakecuyamaca.org: official Lake Cuyamaca Recreation and Park District website
- California State Parks.gov: Cuyamaca Rancho State Park website
|This San Diego County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|