|The Taking of Power by Louis XIV|
|Directed by||Roberto Rossellini|
|Produced by||Roberto Rossellini|
|Written by||Philippe Erlanger|
|Edited by||Armand Ridel|
The Taking of Power by Louis XIV (French: La prise de pouvoir par Louis XIV), also called The Rise of Louis XIV, is a French television film by Italian film director Roberto Rossellini. The film revolves around the French king Louis XIV's rise to power after the death of his powerful advisor, Cardinal Mazarin. To achieve this political autonomy, Louis deals with his mother and the court nobles, all of whom makes the assumption that Mazarin's death will give them more power.
Colin McCabe of the University of Pittsburgh praised the film as "the most serious attempt by a great director to film history." In addition to the political story of the king's grasp of power, the "incidental details, it can be argued, form the real subject matter of all of Rossellini's historical films...." McCabe's examples include the doctors’ examination of Mazarin at the beginning of the film and the "extraordinary banquet" that comes close to the end. "We watch the dishes being prepared in a kitchen teeming with cooks, we follow the umpteenth platter as it is formally escorted through the corridors and staircases, until it reaches an enormous table, where the king sits alone, dining in front of his whole court."
- Jean-Marie Patte as Louis XIV
- Raymond Jourdan as Jean-Baptiste Colbert
- Giulio Cesare Silvagni as Cardinal Mazarin
- Katharina Renn as Anne of Austria
- Dominique Vincent as Suzanne, Marquise du Plessis-Bellière
- Pierre Barrat as Nicolas Fouquet
- Fernand Fabre as Michel Le Tellier, Marquis of Barbezieux
- Françoise Ponty as Louise de la Vallière
- Joelle Laugeois as Maria Theresa of Spain
- Colin MacCabe, (2008) The Taking of Power by Louis XIV: Long Live the Cinema!, Criterion Collection Essay.
- McCabe 2008
- Criterion. "The Criterion Collection Coming Soon" criterion.com. Retrieved: October 17, 2008.
- The Taking of Power by Louis XIV at AllMovie
- The Taking of Power by Louis XIV on IMDb
- The Taking of Power by Louis XIV at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Taking of Power by Louis XIV: Long Live the Cinema! an essay by Colin MacCabe at the Criterion Collection
|This article related to a French film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a made-for-TV movie is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|