Commune de Gombe
Gombe on a map of Kinshasa communes
Kinshasa city-province on a map of the DRC
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
|• Total||29.33 km2 (11.32 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
Gombe or La Gombe is a municipality (commune) in the Lukunga district of Kinshasa, the capital city of the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It was formerly known as Kalina, after Lieutenant E. Kallina - an Austro-Hungarian soldier who volunteered in the Congo Free State. Gombe is bounded on the north by the Congo River and in the south by the Boulevard du 30 Juin.
Gombe is both a residential area and Kinshasa's business district. Originally the place that housed colonial administrative offices, cités indigènes, neighborhoods meant for non-colonists, formed around the neighborhood.
Government and infrastructure
It also houses some of the DRC's principal governing bodies, including the Palais de la Nation and the Banque Centrale du Congo on the Boulevard Colonel Tshatshi. Various ministries, diplomatic and media organizations are also situated there.
The offices of Kinshasa's governor are located in Gombe, making it the capital of Kinshasa Province.
The Direction Générale de Migration (DGM) of the Ministry of the Interior and Security is in Gombe. The headquarters of the Bureau Permanent d’Enquêtes d’Accidents et Incidents d’Aviation (BPEA), an agency of the Ministry of Transport and Channels of Communication, are also in Gombe.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (October 2015)
Both campuses of the French international school, Lycée Français René Descartes Kinshasa, are in Gombe: Site Gombe and Site Kalemie; the latter is across from the residence of the Ambassador of France.
- "Gombe, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo". Google Maps. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Géographie de Kinshasa (Geography of Kinshasa)" (in French). Ville de Kinshasa (City of Kinshasa). Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- De Boeck, Philip (September 2014). Kinshasa: Tales of the Invisible City. Leuven University Press. ISBN 9058679675.
- "Contacts Archived 4 March 2013 at the Wayback Machine." Direction Générale de Migration. Retrieved on 4 March 2013. "65, Boulevard du 30 juin, Commune de la Gombe Ville de Kinshasa, R.D.Congo"
- "RAPPORT FINAL D’ENQUETE TECHNIQUE SUR L’INCIDENT DU B737-300QC, 9Q-CGD APPARTENANT A LA COMPAGNIE GOMAIR, AFFRETE PAR LA COMPAGNIE AIR KASAI, SURVENU SUR LE TRAJET KINSHASA-KISANGANI EN DATE DU 17 NOVEMBRE 2013" (Archive). Bureau Permanent d’Enquêtes d’Accidents et Incidents d’Aviation. Retrieved on 24 March 2015. p. 1. "41, av. Comité Urbain 1er niveau Immeuble ZECODIAM Kinshasa/Gombe"
- "Contact Us." Stellar Airways. Retrieved on 4 March 2013. "98225, Avennue Kabasele (ex-Flambeau) Rez de Chausée, Gombe-Kinshasa République Démocratique du Congo"
- "Accueil." Lycée Français René Descartes Kinshasa. 15 November 2015. Retrieved on 8 December 2017. "Site GOMBE Avenue de la Gombe Kinshasa République Démocratique du Congo" and "Site KALEMIE Avenue Kalemie. En face de la résidence de l'Ambassadeur Kinshasa République Démocratique du Congo" - The French embassy states: "a Résidence de France se situe également dans le quartier de la Gombe, au 22 rue Kalemie."
- "Accueil Archived 25 November 2015 at the Wayback Machine." Lycée Prince de Liège. Retrieved on 26 October 2015. "Lycée Prince de Liège (Ecole belge), Av. de la Gombe, Kinshasa (Gombe)"
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gombe.|