This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kwun Tong line extension
|Locale||Districts: Kowloon City, Yau Tsim Mong|
Yau Ma Tei (through service to Kwun Tong line)
|Opened||23 October 2016|
|Owner||Hong Kong Government|
|Rolling stock||MTR Metro Cammell EMU (DC), MTR CNR Changchun EMU|
|Line length||2.6 km (1.6 mi)|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Electrification||1.5 kV DC|
The Kwun Tong line extension (abbreviated KTE; Chinese: 觀塘綫延綫; Jyutping: Gun1 Tong4 Sin3 Jin4 Sin3) is an extension of the MTR rapid transit network in Hong Kong. It extends the existing train service of Kwun Tong line to Ho Man Tin station and Whampoa station. It began the construction on 25 July 2011 and opened for service on 23 October 2016.
During the bid for Sha Tin to Central Link (SCL) in 2000s, in order to win the project, Mass Transit Railway proposed to extend the Kwun Tong line while Kowloon–Canton Railway suggest to construct an Automated People Mover in Whampoa.
After the MTR–KCR merger in 2007, Hong Kong government appointed MTR to construct the SCL according to KCR proposal, while also extend the Kwun Tong line to Whampoa. The benefits are better transfer arrangement at Ho Man Tin station and other SCL interchange stations.
- During peak hours, half of the Kwun Tong line trains terminate at Ho Man Tin, another half terminates at Whampoa. Passengers who head for Whampoa but take the wrong train to Ho Man Tin will need to change to the next train at Ho Man Tin. In off peak hours, all Kwun Tong line trains terminate at Whampoa.
- "Construction of MTR Kwun Tong Line Extension Project Commences" (PDF). MTR. 26 July 2011.(in Chinese)
- "港鐵觀塘延線下月廿三日通車". Commercial Radio Hong Kong. 21 September 2016.
- "set of presentation materials on "Report on the scheme design of Shatin to Central Link:" provided by the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (Chinese version only) [CB(1)1015/03-04(01)]" (PDF). Legislative Council. KCR. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Legislative Council Panel on Transport Subcommittee on matters relating to railways" (PDF). Environment, Transport and Works Bureau. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "SHATIN TO CENTRAL LINK AND MTR KWUN TONG LINE EXTENSION" (PDF). Transport and Housing Bureau. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Attention : Some Kwun Tong line trains will stop service at Ho Man Tin station after extending to Whampoa". KEE GOR'S DIARY: LATEST UPDATE OF THE KWUN TONG LINE EXTENSION. MTR. Retrieved 2 October 2016.