|Kowloon Peak, Hong Kong|
View of Kowloon Peak
|Elevation||602 m (1,975 ft)|
Hong Kong Principal Datum
|Cantonese Yale||fēi ngòh sāan|
Kowloon Peak (Chinese: 飛鵝山 literally: "Soaring Goose Mountain"), also known as Fei Ngo Shan, is a 602 m (1,975 ft) tall mountain in the northeast corner of New Kowloon, Hong Kong, situated in Ma On Shan Country Park. It is the tallest mountain in Kowloon, and is crossed by both the Wilson Trail and the MacLehose Trail. On the lower slopes is Gilwell Campsite, belonging to The Scout Association.
Hiking & Access
There are several paths from Jat's Incline and Fei Ngo Shan Road that lead to the summit. One of Hong Kong's most treacherous and dangerous climbs is the rock climb from Clear Water Bay Road to Kowloon Peak's summit through Suicide Cliff.
Suicide Cliff is not necessarily a place where people commit suicide, but it's such named most likely because the climb is so treacherous, it's akin to committing suicide. Only experts in rock climbing and hiking should attempt the Suicide Cliff ascent. Casual tourists and inexperienced hikers must not attempt the Suicide Cliff hike as this hike has seen numerous injuries and fatalities. In one instance, two mainland Chinese tourists ran into trouble on Kowloon Peak's Suicide Cliff and caused an extensive rescue operation involving 160 firefighters.
For casual hikers, choosing the easiest path to the summit through Fei Ngo Shan Road is recommendable.
- "飛鵝山 Fei Ngo Shan/ Kowloon Peak". www.hiking.com.hk. Retrieved 2019-10-26.
- "Hiker dies after falling down steep slope in Hong Kong country park". sg.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-04-29.
- Standard, The. "Another hiker killed". The Standard. Retrieved 2019-10-26.
- "6 girls rescued at Kowloon Peak after getting lost on hike since yesterday". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2019-10-26.
- "Hikers underestimate danger of 'suicide cliff' in Hong Kong". South China Morning Post. 2017-08-28. Retrieved 2019-10-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kowloon Peak.|
|This New Kowloon location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New Territories location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a mountain or hill in Hong Kong is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|