This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Kos International Airport "Hippocrates"
Κρατικός Αερολιμένας Κω "Ιπποκράτης"
|Operator||Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture|
|Focus city for||Aegean Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||409 ft / 126 m|
Kos International Airport "Hippocrates" (Greek: Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Κω "Ιπποκράτης") (IATA: KGS, ICAO: LGKO) is an airport serving the island of Kos, Greece. The airport is located near to Andimachia village.
The airport was opened on 4 April 1964. In 1974 the runway was extended to 2,400 metres. Due to increased traffic at the airport, a new terminal was built in 1980. In 1997, the terminal building was renovated and expanded.
In December 2015 the privatisation of Kos Island International Airport and 13 other regional airports of Greece was finalised with the signing of the agreement between the Fraport AG/Copelouzos Group joint venture and the state privatisation fund. "We signed the deal today," the head of Greece's privatisation agency HRADF, Stergios Pitsiorlas, told Reuters. According to the agreement, the joint venture will operate the 14 airports (including Kos Island International Airport) for 40 years as of 11 April 2017.
Future of the airport - Fraport Greece’s investment plan
On 22 March 2017, Fraport-Greece presented its master plan for the 14 regional airports including the International Airport of Kos.
Immediate actions that will be implemented at the airports as soon as Fraport Greece takes over operations before the launch of the summer season include: :
- General clean-up
- Improving lighting, marking of airside areas.
- Upgrading sanitary facilities
- Enhancing services and offering new free Internet connection (WiFi)
- Implementing works to improve fire safety in all the areas of the airports
The following summarizes the enhancement changes that will be started in October 2017 and will be implemented for Kos International Airport under Fraport Greece's investment plan until 2021 :
- New terminal
- New fire station
- Refurbishing/expanding the waste water treatment plant
- 201 percent increase in the total size of the airport at 24,000 m2
- 75 percent increase in the number of check-in counters (from 16 to 28)
- 125 percent increase in the number of security-check lanes (from 4 to 9)
By Public Bus: A transit bus service operates between the airport and Kos town, Mastichari, Kardamena and Kefalos. There is a public bus stop 50m from the terminal building.
By Taxi: 24/7 metered taxi service is available outside the Kos Airport Terminal building.
By Car: Kos Airport is located 24 km from the Kos town and is accessible from the provincial road Kos-Kefalos.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- In 2013, an Air Explore Boeing 737 made an emergency landing due to the left engine overheating. Once taxied to the gate, the engine caught fire. The pilot ordered an evacuation using the emergency slides on either side of the aircraft. No one was injured during the incident.
- "KOS AIRPORT "IPPOKRATIS"". kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 8 January 2018.
- "Greece signs privatization of 14 regional airports with Germany's Fraport - TornosNews.gr". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- Editorial, Reuters. "REFILE-UPDATE 1-Greece signs major privatisation deal with Germany's Fraport". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Fraport Greece’s Development Plan for the New Era at the Greek Regional Airports", fraport-greece.com
- "By Public Bus | Kos Airport (KGS)". www.kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "By Taxi | Kos Airport (KGS)". www.kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- "By Car | Kos Airport (KGS)". www.kgs-airport.gr. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Blu Express adds new seasonal routes in S17". Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Tui sends Freebird Europe to Leipzig / Halle - Airbus A320 is stationed in Schkeuditz". lvz.de. 4 October 2019.
- "Flight Times". neosair.it/en.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Smartwings Plans Hungary Operations June – Sep 2015". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Transavia Adds New Eindhoven Routes in S16". Routesonline. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Flight Timetable". TUI Holidays.ie.
- "Only Flight". tui.se.
- "Only Flight". tui.no.
- volotea (25 October 2016). "VOLOTEA - Bookings, vacations, destinations, flights, routes". Volotea. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "KOS AIRPORT IPPOKRATIS", ypa.gr
- "Air Traffic statistics", kgs-airport.gr