|Kiss the Sky|
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 25, 1998|
|Recorded||1997 - 1998|
|Genre||R&B, soul, hip hop|
|Producer||Shawn Stockman, Rodney Jerkins, Narada Michael Walden, Fred Jerkins III, StoneBridge, Vincent Herbert & Rob Fusari, Keith Pelzer & Darren Henson, Marti Sharron & Danny Sembello, James "Jiff" Hinger, Joe "P" Cantrall, Alex "Cat" Cantrall, Shawn Stockman|
|Singles from Kiss The Sky|
Kiss the Sky is the only studio album by American singer and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air actress Tatyana Ali. The album was released on August 25,1998, peaking at #106 on the Billboard 200 and #47 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart. The album produced the top ten Billboard Hot 100 hit "Daydreamin', as well as the smash hit UK single "Boy You Knock Me Out", and the ballad "Everytime". The album was certified Gold in early 1999, however, did not sell as well as expected, and as such, Ali was dropped from the label in late 1999. The album was made with the help of her Fresh Prince co-star and rapper Will Smith.
AllMusic gave the album two and a half stars out of five, claiming: "History has often taught us that when an actor or actress decides to record an album, consumers had best be on their guard and proceed with caution. But in some cases, actors are also worthwhile singers. A case in point is Tatyana Ali, who is best known for playing Ashley on the NBC sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. After establishing herself as an actress, Ali entered the urban contemporary field with Kiss the Sky, for which Will "The Fresh Prince" Smith is an executive producer. Although not fantastic and not very risk-taking, the collection of hip-hop-ish R&B/pop demonstrated that Ali was a decent singer along the lines of Janet Jackson. This isn't to say that the album is as interesting as a Jackson album—in fact, most of the material is pretty routine. But Kiss the Sky does contain a few memorable selections, including the sexy 'He Loves Me,' the remorseful 'Through Life Alone,' and the caressing title song. Ali has the potential to make a consistently strong album, but she'll need the right input, guidance, and direction."
|2.||"Boy You Knock Me Out"||Robert Bell; Ronald Bell; George Brown; Bobby Caldwell; Raymond Calhoun; Alfons Kettner; Robert Mickens; Kelly Price; Claydes Smith; Will Smith; Alton Taylor; Dennis Thomas; Richard Westfield||4:10|
|3.||"If You Only Knew"||Mary Brown; Rob Fusari; Tatyana Ali; Vincent Herbert||3:44|
|4.||"Everytime"||Alex Cantrall; Joe Priolo||5:15|
|5.||"Daydreamin'"||Donald Fagen; Fred Jenkins III; LaShawn Daniels; Peter Pankey; Rodney Jerkins; Sean Hamilton; Walter Becker||5:00|
|6.||"Love the Way You Love Me"||Narada Michael Walden; Sally Jo Dakota||5:02|
|8.||"He Loves Me"||Darren "Limitless" Henson; Keith Pelzer; Tia Mintze||4:45|
|9.||"Kiss the Sky" (featuring Marion)||Shawn Stockman||5:04|
|10.||"If I Ever Love Again"||Danny Sembello; Marti Sharron||4:44|
|11.||"Yesterday" (featuring Chico DeBarge)||Fred Jerkins III; Kelly Price||5:06|
|12.||"Through Life Alone"||Shawn Stockman||5:52|
|European Reissue Bonus Track |
|13.||"Boy You Knock Me Out" (featuring Will Smith)||Robert Bell; Ronald Bell; George Brown; Bobby Caldwell; Raymond Calhoun; Alfons Kettner; Robert Mickens; Kelly Price; Claydes Smith; Will Smith; Alton Taylor; Dennis Thomas; Richard Westfield||4:20|
|Japanese Edition Bonus Tracks |
|13.||"Never Leave You Lonely"||Rob Fusari, Vincent Herbert||4:23|
|14.||"Daydreamin' Part II"||Art Nevile, Fred Jerkins III, George Porter, Jr., Joseph Modeliste, Lashawn Daniels, Leo Nocentelli, Peter Pankey, Rodney Jerkins, Sean Hamilton||4:24|
Production and personnel
- Track 2 Arranged and produced by StoneBridge (for StoneBridge Productions & Big Management Ltd.) & Kelly Price (for Priceless Music). Recorded by StoneBridge & Michael Blum. Mixed by Rob Chiarelli for Final Mix. All Programming by Rob Chiarelli.
- Track 3 Produced by Vincent Herbert, Rob Fusari & Mary Brown. Recorded by Commissioner Gordon; assisted by Tim Lauber & Jan Fairchild. Mixed by Tony Maserati. Eric Jackson: Guitars
- Track 4 Produced by Joe Priolo & A. Cantrall for Signature Productions. Recorded by John "Sticky Fingers" Smeltz. Mixed by Rob Chiarelli. Randy Bowland: Guitars. All other instruments and programming by Joe Priolo. Strings by The Larry Gold Players; arranged & conducted by Larry Gold.
- Track 5 Arranged, produced and recorded by Rodney Jerkins & LaShawn Daniels. Mixed by Dexter Simmons. All Music Performed by Rodney Jerkins.
- Track 6 Arranged and produced by Narada Michael Walden. Engineered by Marc Reyburn, Jimi Fischer & David Frazer. Mixed by David Frazer. Jimi Fischer, Rob Chiarelli: All Keyboards & Programming. Angela Bofill, Tina Gibson, Nikita Germaine & Sandy Griffith: Vocal Backing
- Track 8 Arranged by Tia Minze & Keith Pelzer. Produced by Keith Pelzer. Recorded by Keith Pelzer & Serban Ghenea. Mixed by Dexter Simmons.
- Tracks 9 & 12 Arranged, produced and performed by Shawn Stockman. Recorded by James Hinger & Rob Chiarelli. Mixed by Shawn Stockman & James Hinger.
- Track 10 Arranged and produced by Marti Sharron & Danny Sembello. Recorded by Jon Ingoldsby, Thom Russo & Martin Horenburg. Mixed by Dave Way. Jubu: Guitars. Sheree Ford-Payne: Vocal Backing
- Track 11 Arranged and produced By Kelly Price & Fred Jerkins III. Recorded by John Smeltz & Ben Garrison. Mixed by Fred Jerkins III & Dexter Simmons. Strings (The Darkchild Orchestra) arranged by Larry Gold & Fred Jerkins III. Chico DeBarge: Co-lead vocal. Kelly Price: Vocal Backing.
|Year||Song||U.S.||UK Singles Chart|
|"Boy You Knock Me Out" (Featuring Will Smith)||-||3|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Daydreamin'"||1998||6||5||—||—||—||—||3||6||3||Kiss the Sky|
|"Boy You Knock Me Out"
(featuring Will Smith)
|"Wait for It"||2014||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||Hello|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
- "Daydreamin: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Boy You Knock Me Out: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Everytime: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- Henderson, Alex. Kiss the Sky at AllMusic
- Alex Henderson (1998-08-25). "Kiss the Sky - Tatyana Ali | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-01.
- "Billboard Hot 100: Tatyana Ali". Billboard. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs: Tatyana Ali". Billboard. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Belgium Charts - Tatyana Ali". Ultratop. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Steffen Hung (March 13, 1999). "Les charts français". lescharts.com. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Search the Charts: Tatyana Ali". The Irish Charts. Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Steffen Hung. "– Dutch charts portal". Dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Steffen Hung. "– New Zealand charts portal". charts.nz. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "UK Charts - Tatyana Ali". Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Daydreamin'": "15 November 1998 - 21 November 1998". Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40 Archive. Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Boy You Knock Me Out": "07 February 1999 - 12 February 1999". Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40 Archive. Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Everytime": "13 June 1999 - 19 June 1999". Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40 Archive. Official Charts Company. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "US certifications: Tatyana Ali". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- Scapolo, Dean (2007). The Complete New Zealand Music Charts: 1966–2006. Wellington: Dean Scapolo and Maurienne House. ISBN 978-1877443-00-8.
- "Search Results: Tatyana Ali". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Wait for It by Tatyana Ali". iTunes. Retrieved November 2, 2017.