|Date formed||July 6, 2006|
|Date dissolved||December 9, 2008|
|People and organisations|
|Head of state||Valdas Adamkus|
|Head of government||Gediminas Kirkilas|
|Member parties||Social Democratic Party of Lithuania, Lithuanian Peasant Popular Union, Civic Democratic Party, Liberal and Centre Union (2006–2007)
Social Democratic Party of Lithuania, Lithuanian Peasant Popular Union, Liberal and Centre Union, Civic Democratic Party, New Union (Social Liberals) (2008)
|Status in legislature|||
|Opposition parties||Homeland Union (Lithuanian Conservatives), Labour Party, Order and Justice, New Union (Social Liberals), Liberal Movement (2006–2007)|
Homeland Union (Lithuanian Conservatives), Labour Party, Order and Justice, Liberal Movement (2008)
|Legislature term(s)||Ninth Seimas|
|Predecessor||Brazauskas Cabinet II|
|Successor||Kubilius Cabinet II|
Algirdas Brazauskas resigned as the Prime Minister of the 13th government on 1 June 2006. After this event, Homeland Union, Liberal Movement and New Union (Social Liberals) tried to form ruling coalition (so called "Breakthrough Coalition") of their one, but Social Democratic Party of Lithuania and Lithuanian Peasant Popular Union also tried to do so. Attempt made by latter two parties was successful and new coalition also included Civic Democratic Party and Liberal and Centre Union.
After the interim Prime Minister, Zigmantas Balčytis failed to garner sufficient support in the parliament (only 53 members of the parliament belonged to new four party coalition), the President Valdas Adamkus appointed Gediminas Kirkilas of the Social Democratic Party of Lithuania as the Prime Minister on 6 July 2006. Although, possibility of snap elections of Seimas in 2007 was raised by June, 2006, the 14th cabinet received its mandate and started work on 18 July 2006, after the Seimas gave assent to its program (main opposition party Homeland Union abstained in the voting).
The government served as minority government from July 2006 to January 2008. Agreement between Social Democratic Party of Lithuania and Homeland Union had fixed term of six months, which could have been extended for other six months and etc. By the end of 2007 Homeland Union withdraw its support for minority government and search of possible support from other parties began. In January 2008 government became majority one when New Union (Social Liberals) joined ruling coalition after weeks of negotiations, although New Union (Social Liberals) in April 2007 already agreed to support minority government.
The government continued to serve until the end of the term of the Ninth Seimas, returning its mandate on 17 November 2008, soon after the elections to the Seimas in October. The government continued to serve in an acting capacity until the Second Kubilius Cabinet started its work on 9 December 2008.
The following ministers served on Kirkilas Cabinet.
- Nominated by Lithuanian Peasant Popular Union
- "Socialdemokratų partija ir Tėvynės sąjungos frakcija pasirašė susitarimą dėl tolesnės Tėvynės sąjungos paramos mažumos Vyriausybei". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- ""Darbiečiai" imasi burti opozicijos koaliciją". DELFI. Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Pasirašytas bendradarbiavimo susitarimas su liberalcentristais". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "Ankstesnės Vyriausybės. Po 1990 metų". Government of the Republic of Lithuania.
- "Seimas 2004-2008 m.: valdantieji rūbą keitė kelis kartus" [2004-2008 Seimas: the governing coalition changed its clothes several times] (in Lithuanian). Verslo Žinios. 13 September 2008. Retrieved 21 December 2015.
- "Dėl lietuvos respublikos vyriausybės atsistatydinimo". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "DĖL LIETUVOS RESPUBLIKOS ŠVIETIMO IR MOKSLO MINISTRĖS R. ŽAKAITIENĖS ATSISTATYDINIMO". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "DĖL LIETUVOS RESPUBLIKOS APLINKOS MINISTRO A. KUNDROTO ATSISTATYDINIMO". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "DĖL LIETUVOS RESPUBLIKOS SVEIKATOS APSAUGOS MINISTRO R.TURČINSKO ATSISTATYDINIMO". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 13 May 2016.
- "DĖL LIETUVOS RESPUBLIKOS VIDAUS REIKALŲ MINISTRO R. ŠUKIO ATSISTATYDINIMO". Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania. Retrieved 13 May 2016.