|Single by Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue|
|from the album Sing When You're Winning and Light Years|
|Released||9 October 2000|
|Length||4:47 (Sing When You're Winning album version) |
4:19 (Light Years/radio edit version)
|Robbie Williams singles chronology|
|Kylie Minogue singles chronology|
"Kids" is a duet by singers Robbie Williams and Kylie Minogue, released as the second single from Sing When You're Winning, Williams' third studio album and the third single from Light Years, Minogue's seventh studio album. Williams and then songwriting partner Guy Chambers co-wrote the song for Minogue.
The track was written when Minogue approached Williams to write her some songs for what would be her first album under Parlophone, Light Years. It was then that Williams felt the chemistry and decided to turn the song into a duet as well as include the track on his album and release it as a single. It was an instant hit when it was released in 2000. It also appeared in Grand Theft Auto V on its fictional radio station Non Stop Pop.
The song became a smash hit in the United Kingdom, reaching number-two (behind "Beautiful Day" by U2), and selling over 200,000 copies being certified Silver by the BPI. The track also broke into the top ten in several other countries including New Zealand, Mexico and Argentina as well as hitting the top twenty in Australia, being certified Gold in the latter for sales over the 35,000 copies. The lyrics, although penned by Robbie Williams and Guy Chambers, make numerous references to the careers of both Minogue and Williams. Minogue's lyric "I've been dropping beats since Back in Black" is a self-deprecating reference to her 1980s pop image when she was known as the singing budgie from Australia—Back in Black being a 1980s album by Australian band AC/DC and of a stark contrast to her own style at the time. Later, in 2010, this song is used as the theme song of Junior Masterchef Australia.
Minogue performed the song on the following tours:
- On a Night Like This
- Showgirl: The Homecoming Tour (Performed solo and as a duet with Dannii Minogue or, on one occasion, Bono)
- For You, for Me
- Kiss Me Once Tour
- Kylie Summer 2015
- Golden Tour
Williams performed the song on the following tours:
- The Sermon on the Mount Tour
- Weddings, Barmitzvahs & Stadiums Tour
- 2003 Tour
- Close Encounters Tour (Africa, Asia and Australia only)
- Take the Crown Stadium Tour (Duet with Olly Murs)
- Let Me Entertain You Tour
- The Heavy Entertainment Show Tour
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Kids".
- "Kids" – 4:47
- "John's Gay" – 3:40
- "Often" – 2:46
- "Kids" – 4:47 (enhanced video)
- "Kids" – 4:47
- "Karaoke Star" – 4:10
- "Kill Me or Cure Me" – 2:14
Charts and certifications
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- BPI Certification for "Kids" Archived 30 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "ARIA Certification for "Kids"". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Australian-charts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Hits of the World" (PDF). Billboard. 28 October 2000. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". GfK Entertainment Charts. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Íslenski Listinn Topp 40 (Vikuna 15.12. - 22.12. 2000 50. Vika)" (PDF) (in Icelandic). Dagblaðið Vísir. Retrieved 15 July 2018. Cite magazine requires
- "Chart Track: Week 34, 2000". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Top Digital Download.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Robbie Williams & Kylie Minogue – Kids". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- Top 100 2000
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2000 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 10 January 2015.
- Myers, Justin (22 March 2014). "Kylie Minogue's Official Number 2 Singles' Sales Revealed". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "British single certifications – Kylie Minogue – Kids". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 13 July 2018. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Kids in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.