|Shaji N Karun|
Kerala State Film Development Corporation (abbreviated as KSFDC), is an organization founded by the Government of Kerala, India for promoting the film market in the state. It was founded in 1975, a period when the production of Malayalam films were centered in Madras (now Chennai). KSFDC was formed with an objective of moving the Malayalam film industry from Madras to Kerala. At the time of its inception, it was the first of its kind organization for film development under public sector in India.
KSFDC organised the International Film Festival of Kerala annually until 1998, after which its management was handed over to the Kerala State Chalachitra Academy. KSFDC is the founder of the Chithranjali Studio. KSFDC owns a cinema exhibition network of ten theatres across Kerala. KSFDC also works as a production agency which makes public interest documentary films and short films for the Government of Kerala. Shaji N. Karun is appointed as the new chairman of Kerala State Film Development Corporation after the demise of previous chairman Lenin Rajendran
The demand for a studio in the public domain was first put forward by filmmaker Ramu Kariat, his idea was to make one in the lines of Moscow Film Studio, He, along with like minded filmmakers P. Bhaskaran and Thoppil Bhasi and many others met C. Achutha Menon, the then chief minister who in turn directed them to the then home minister K. Karunakaran who also looked after state's cinema. Karunakaran and the then secretary of government Malayattoor Ramakrishnan supported the demand. In 1975, the Kerala State Film Development Corporation (KSFDC) was formed with P. R. S. Pillai as its first chairman and G. Vivekanandan as the first managing director.
Kalabhavan Digital Studio
A digital post processing studio owned by the KSFDC.
KSFDC owns an exhibition network of 17 cinemas in Kerala namely:
- Kairali, Nila and Sree theatre complex, Thampanoor, Thiruvananthapuram
- Lenin cinemas, KSRTC Central Bus Station complex, Thampanoor, Thiruvananthapuram
- Kalabhavan Theatre, Chalachitrakalabhavan, Vazhuthacaud, Thiruvananthapuram
- Kairali & Sree twin theatres, Karunakaran Nambiar Road, Round North, Trissur
- Kairali & Sree twin theatres, (I.G Road) Mavoor Road, Kozhikode
- Kairali & Sree twin theatres, Mullakkal, Alappuzha
- Kairali & Sree twin theatres, A.C Road Cherthala, Alappuzha District
- Kairali & Sree twin theatres, Pullomkulam, North Paravur, Ernakulam District
- Kairali & Sree twin theatres, Chittoor, Palakkad District
- "KSFDC official web site, About us". Archived from the original on 4 April 2011. Retrieved 24 March 2011.
- mysarkarinaukri.com Kerala State Film Development Corporation
- Chandran, Baiju (28 November 2013). "The Capital of cinema". The Hindu. Retrieved 28 July 2019.