|Years active||1962 to 2005|
Palmer began his career in 1962 as dubbing editor on Station Six-Sahara. Through the 1960s into the early 1970s he worked as a sound mixer or editor, on films including 30 Is a Dangerous Age, Cynthia (1967), Shalako (1968), The Strange Affair (1968), Hello-Goodbye (1970) and Wake in Fright (1971). In 1966 he was assistant editor on I Was Happy Here.
Palmer's first work as a full film editor came in 1969, on the first eight episodes of Strange Report, a new television drama series starring Anthony Quayle. His early films as an editor were I Start Counting (1970) and Nothing But the Night (1972), and he was also editor for the BBC television series Doomwatch (1972). Thereafter, Palmer almost invariably worked as editor, several times on films made by Peter Sasdy and Jack Gold. In 1987 an unusual challenge came with Escape from Sobibor.
In 1999 Palmer received the Primetime Emmy Award (Outstanding Single Camera Picture Editing for a Miniseries or a Movie) for Hornblower: The Even Chance (1998), and for the same movie he was also nominated for a BAFTA Television Award (Best Editing, Fiction/Entertainment).
- James Chapman, Swashbucklers: The Costume Adventure Series (Oxford University Press, 2015) p. 194
- I Was Happy Here (1966) at bfi.org.uk, accessed 29 November 2017
- Gary A. Smith, Uneasy Dreams: The Golden Age of British Horror Films, 1956–1976 (2006), p. 86
- Toby Haggith, Joanna Newman, Holocaust and the Moving Image: Representations in Film and Television (2005), p. 289
- Explore the Awards page at bafta.org, accessed 29 November 2017
- Back to the Secret Garden, review dated August 29, 2001, in Variety online, accessed 30 November 2017
- Tom Johnson, Mark A. Miller, The Christopher Lee Filmography: All Theatrical Releases, 1948–2003 (2009), p. 246
- Harris M. Lentz, Science Fiction, Horror & Fantasy Film and Television Credits (2001), p. 915
- Robert Michael “Bobb” Cotter, Ingrid Pitt, Queen of Horror: The Complete Career (2010), p. 87
- Jerry Roberts, Encyclopedia of Television Film Directors (2009), p. 201