|Alma mater||University of East Anglia|
|Institutions||University of East Anglia|
|Thesis||Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles (1984)|
|Doctoral advisor||Tom Wigley|
Keith Raphael Briffa (1952 – 29 October 2017)) was a climatologist and deputy director of the Climatic Research Unit. He authored or co-authored over 130 scholarly articles, chapters and books. In his professional work, he focused on climate change in the late Holocene, with a special focus on northern portions of Europe and Asia. Briffa's preferred method was dendroclimatology, which is a set of procedures intended to decode information about the past climate from tree rings. Briffa helped develop data sets from trees from Canada, Fennoscandia, and northern Siberia which have been used in climate research.
Briffa grew up in Speke, and attended St Francis Xavier's College, Liverpool. He studied biology at the University of East Anglia. He completed his PhD at the University of East Anglia entitled "Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles" in 1984.
From 1994 to 2000, Briffa served on the scientific steering committee (SSC) of the PAGES project; more recently he also served on SSCs for the UK NERC Rapid Climate Change and the European Science Foundation's HOLIVAR program.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2013). "Reassessing the evidence for tree-growth and inferred temperature change during the Common Era in Yamalia, northwest Siberia". Quaternary Science Reviews. 72: 83–107. doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2013.04.008.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2008). "Trends in recent temperature and radial tree growth spanning 2000 years across northwest Eurasia". Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B. 363 (1501): 2269–82. doi:10.1098/rstb.2007.2199. PMC 2606779. PMID 18048299.
- Osborn T.J. and K.R. Briffa (2006). "The spatial extent of 20th-century warmth in the context of the past 1200 years". Science. 311 (5762): 841–4. Bibcode:2006Sci...311..841O. CiteSeerX 10.1.1.590.2928. doi:10.1126/science.1120514. PMID 16469924.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2002). "Unusual twentieth-century summer warmth in a 1,000-year temperature record from Siberia". Nature. 376 (6536): 156–9. Bibcode:1995Natur.376..156B. doi:10.1038/376156a0.
- Briffa K.R.; et al. (2001). "Low-frequency temperature variations from a northern tree ring density network" (PDF). Journal of Geophysical Research. 106 (D3) (D3): 2929–2941. Bibcode:2001JGR...106.2929B. doi:10.1029/2000JD900617.
- Briffa, K.R. (2000). "Annual climate variability in the Holocene: interpreting the message of ancient trees". Quaternary Science Reviews. 19 (1–5): 87–105. Bibcode:2000QSRv...19...87B. doi:10.1016/S0277-3791(99)00056-6.
- Atkinson, Tim (2017-12-21). "Keith Briffa obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- "Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles". British Library EThOS. 1984. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Professor Keith Briffa". Climatic Research Unit News/Events. University of East Anglia. 2017-11-01. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "Staff and Students".
- "Items where Author is "Briffa, Keith" - UEA Digital Repository".
- "All Staff - UEA".
- "Tree-climate relationships and dendroclimatological reconstruction in British Isles". British Library EThOS. 1984. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "All Staff - UEA".
|This biographical article about a climatologist or meteorologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|