|Pen name||Michael McCulloch|
|Occupation||Novelist, Literary editor|
|Genre||suspense fiction, children's literature|
|Children||Two sons, Felix and Cosmo|
Graff was born and raised in Missoula, Montana. He has had four novels published and is also the executive editor of Booklist Publications at the American Library Association. He currently resides in Chicago.
Graff moved to Chicago, Illinois in 1996. After quitting his job in 1997 to go on "wife support," he wrote and tried to sell screenplays before finding more success as a freelance writer. In 2001 he accepted a position as editorial assistant at Booklist. In 2005 Graff was named senior editor of the newly created Booklist Online. 2016 saw his promotion to executive editor of Booklist Publications. His first novel, Cold Lessons, was published under the pseudonym Michael McCulloch in 2007. Other books soon followed under his real name: My Fellow Americans (2007), One Nation Under God (2008), and The Price of Liberty (2010).
Critical response to Graff's novels has been mixed at times but appears to be improving. Reviewing My Fellow Americans, Library Journal wrote that "Graff . . . has a light but sure hand. Jason's harrowing adventures, perfectly paced and leavened by touches of humor, are gripping from start to finish."  Publishers Weekly disagreed: "While many thoughtful observers have wondered whether the war on terror will cost the U.S. its soul, Graff barely scratches the surface of the challenging ideas his intriguing conceit presents."  Publishers Weekly was also critical of One Nation, Under God, calling it "unconvincing fictional effort to paint the extreme religious right as a major threat."  The Chicago Sun-Times, however, noted that " . . . One Nation evokes such paranoid 1970s thrillers as The Parallax View and Six Days of the Condor." 
Reviews of The Price of Liberty were positive, with Library Journal calling it "another winner"  and Publishers Weekly concluding "Graff's cynical take on government waste and corporate greed plays well.". Other review sources offered praise, including ForeWord ("Graff's writing keeps the reader anxious for the next scene."), the Chicago Sun-Times ("Other contemporary thriller writers resort to the exotic and outlandish to sustain their narrative, but Graff builds suspense around real people in the real world."), Blogcritics.org ("a first-class thriller that sweeps the reader along on a bouncy, jarring ride", and more.
Graff's children's books have been favorably reviewed. Of The Other Felix, Publishers Weekly noted that "Graff populates his story with familiar characters" but concluded "his skill at capturing the small, everyday details and dramas that loom large in children’s minds, as well as his avoidance of a too-neat ending, ought to linger with readers who share Felix’s introspective nature." Evaluating The Matchstick Castle, Kirkus Reviews noted "Graff neatly contains his wacky plot within narrator Brian’s Everykid voice, unspooling the looniness with transparent glee. Fast-paced, anarchic fun for reluctant and avid readers alike."
Awards & Honors
The Matchstick Castle was named an official 2018 Illinois Reads selection by the Illinois Reading Council.
- Cold Lessons (2007) (written under the pseudonym Michael McCulloch)
- My Fellow Americans (2007)
- One Nation, Under God (2008)
- The Price of Liberty (2010)
- Montana Noir (2017) (as editor & contributor)
- Keir Graff author bio
- "Booklist to launch new online book review venture," ALA press release
- "How Keir Graff Brought ‘Booklist’ Into the Digital Age," by Lori Rader-Day, Chicago Review of Books
- "Eirkay Affgray," by Jonathan Messinger, Time Out Chicago
- Macmillan publisher page for The Other Felix
- Penguin Young Readers page for The Matchstick Castle
- Library Journal review of My Fellow Americans
- Publishers Weekly review of My Fellow Americans
- Publishers Weekly review of One Nation, Under God
- "'One Nation' Takes a While to Thrill but It's Worth the Wait," by Jeffrey Westhoff, Chicago Sun-Times
- Library Journal review of The Price of Liberty
- Publishers Weekly review of The Price of Liberty
- http://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/the-price-of-liberty/ ForeWord review of The Price of Liberty
- http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/books/2667908,keir-graff-090510.article "Less paranoia, faster pace in third of Graff series," by Jeffrey Westhoff, Chicago Sun-Times
- Blogcritics.org review of The Price of Liberty
- Publishers Weekly review of The Other Felix
- Kirkus Review of The Matchstick Castle
- Society of Midland Authors Award Winners
- 2018 ILLINOIS READS Press Release
- "Best children's books of 2018," Chicago Tribune
- Likely Stories: A Booklist Blog